Chapter 17

"I can only tell you certain things." Harry spoke with authority and a sense of power.

I nodded weakly, desperate for any information I could possibly get. I hated being oblivious, I need and crave to know what's going on.

"Okay," Harry closed his eyes and exhaled a deep breathe before continuing. "Well I have a duty to carry out and I am determined to succeed, very determined." Harry told me as he darkly peered into my eyes.

Sheesh, he's only started and it's already intense.

"My job is to protect you. And I will protect you. You have have to trust me. You have to cooperate with me. You have to try to understand." Harry desperately almost pleaded, but he wasn't finished.

Again, he took a deep breathe before he continued.

"But you can not, I repeat can not, get emotionally attached to me." Harry said lowly, looking at his fingers.

At first I felt a little offended that he'd think I'd be or get emotionally attached to him, but then I felt a pang of disappointment that I couldn't be emotionally involved with him if I wanted to.

"Continue." I whispered. I wasn't going to let his last sentence dwell and build tension between us any longer. And I am ready to get as much information as I possibly can out of him while he's willing to tell me.

"Like I said, my job is to protect you. You weren't safe where you were before. That's why I had to take you. I had to take you away from all that. You're safe now. As long as you're with me you'll always be safe." He said, meaningfully.

"What exactly am I safe from?" I asked.

"Bad things Jessica. Bad things. And that's all you're allowed to know about that." Harry said sternly, sitting up straighter and regaining that professionalism again.

I nod, not wanting to cross any boundary. I consider myself lucky that he's even telling me this.

"I know this is all new to you. I can understand that. But what I can't understand is why you'd want to put your self at risk by trying to escape. I thought I told you, you're safe now. Why would you want to escape safety?" Harry questions, genuinely intrigued.

"Um.." I found myself lost for words. I felt weak, like a small child getting told off by their parent. "I don't know." Was all I could manage to say.

"Any questions so far?" Harry asked, he looked slightly amused by my loss for words.

"Yes." I answered straight away.

"Okay, ask away. But remember I can only tell you certain things, it's part of the job." Harry reminded me.

"Are we far away from home?" I asked.

"Yes."

"Very far away?"

"Yes. Very."

"How do you know so much about me?" I whispered.

"I can't tell you that."

"Fine." I huffed. I racked my brain for one of the many questions I had thought of in the last 24 hours. "Liam drove the car in which you kidnapped me, correct?"

"Correct. And I prefer saved or rescued, not kidnapped."

"And Liam knows kidnapping is illegal?"

"Yes he knows." Harry huffed, crossing his arms and rolling his eyes.

"And he's okay with that?" I questioned further.

"Yes he is. Because we didn't 'kidnap' you, we saved you." Harry said, running his hand through his hair, sounding exasperated.

"Okay, you 'saved' me. What now?" I asked.

"Well.." Harry looked puzzled. "That's the thing, we either -" Harry suddenly stopped mid sentence. "Shit." He cursed out loud.

"What?" I asked, suddenly panicked.

"I'm not meant to tell you that." He hissed, almost to himself rather than me. "This is to dangerous."

"What's to dangerous?" I breathed.

"Talking to you. You're too easy to talk to Jess." Harry said getting up from his seat and pacing down the hall.

I followed right behind him.

"Harry, please don't go. I need someone to talk to." I pleaded. Running up the stairs after him.

Harry continued walking into his bedroom. He slammed the door shut straight after him so I couldn't follow him in. I came to a halt before his door.

I pressed my forehead and my palms against the door, I could hear my heart beat, it was that quiet.

"Please Harry, I just want to talk." I whispered, begging. I felt tears prick my eyes.

The door suddenly swung open. I drew in a sharp breathe and immediately stepped back from the door so I wouldn't fall. Harry stood before me, looking furious. He looked so angry I was waiting for steam to escape both of his ears.

"You want to talk Jessica? Let's talk. Why don't you tell me what the handshake between you and Liam earlier on was all about?" Harry spat venomously through gritted teeth.

I felt my throat close up. My palms started to lightly sweat. I felt like I was about to get sick. Instead of running for the bathroom I took a deep breathe and composed myself.

Just tell him quickly, like ripping off a bandaid. I told myself.

He seemed to get angrier by the second.

Right this very moment I didn't feel safe. I felt threatened by Harry. He was like a ticking time bomb. So easily set off.