Chapter Fourteen

----------------------

C H A P T E R  F O U R T E E N

----------------------

I put my hand inside the safe and pulled out the object slowly and delicately. Something about it being in a safe made me realize how much Amber wanted to keep this a secret.

It was her journal. Two French words were on the cover: “écritures secretes” which meant secret writings. If the title was any indication of what was inside, I would at least find something that would give me an advantage over “UNKNOWN”.

The journal was a velvety red hardbound with crisp lined cream pages. Her handwriting was delicate and calculated, each letter on the page never sloppily rushed out. Whatever Amber had written in here was heavily deliberated.

I read on, imagining as if she was standing beside me saying her words herself.

“Mom was always right. I am nosy, conniving, scheming and basically a bitch. So she never actually said those words, but she always scolded me whenever I snooped through her friend's stuff when we visited their homes when I was younger. She always told me to stay out of other people’s business. That was the biggest difference between my mom and dad. My dad said ‘knowing someone’s secrets gives you power over them’.

I guess that’s why Dad left her, the bastard. But one thing that will always resonate with me is that secrets are what define us, they're the things that bind or break us. I don’t want people to know my secrets, because I never want them to have that power over me. I have to fight back before they get a chance to attack me. When I become famous people who know me will do whatever they can to bring me down, but I won’t let them. I’m going to find their dirty laundry, dissect their lies and destroy their reputation before they can even try to fracture mine.

Maybe I’m paranoid. But I’m a good person. I won’t use any of these secrets unless I feel like I have to. This book will keep all of these secrets in safekeeping, so only I can use them when I want to. I feel like writing this down will keep me honest, remind me that secrets are a powerful tool, but shouldn’t be used lightly.”

I tried to keep my jaw from falling to the floor as I let Amber’s thoughts sink in. She sounded obsessed with fame and power far more than I had ever realized. I was almost afraid to look at the pages following this grim introduction. What kind of information could Amber have?

I shut my eyes as I turned the page. It was the only way I could prepare myself for whatever secrets Amber had on practically anyone. I finally let my eyes open when the page was fully turned.

Names I had recognized were splashed across the cream paper, with accompanying dates next to them. Little blurbs of information: pass codes, locations, details about people. I flipped the other pages curiously, at first the details seemed mundane, but as the dates progressed, the information started getting juicier.

“July 2, 2011 – Mr. Mendelssohn seen staying at his office after hours. Banging the secretary? It’s already been the third time this week.

July 6, 2011 – Rayna seen purging behind a dumpster of Sugar D’s cupcake shop. Make sure to get pictures for file next time.”

I skipped on, reading the names that popped out at me.

“August 23, 2011 – Henry seen vandalizing property that belongs to Jenna’s family’s corporation. Bitter much? Obviously coincides with their breakup two weeks ago. Check security tapes and keep them for myself, could be useful someday.

September 14, 2011 – Kyle, doesn’t have any secrets! Got to fix that just in case we break up. Maybe plant him in a compromising situation? Don’t want him pulling a stunt like Henry that could damage my reputation …