Chapter Nineteen

• Dedicated to Gretchel Elmo Lomboy

----------------------

C H A P T E R  N I N E T E E N

----------------------

The hotel telephone rang and my eyes fluttered open, I reached over to answer it. It was just a wake-up call from the front desk. I was disoriented and forgot where I was for a second, but it all came back to me as I turned over in the bed to see Cassie with me.

I felt a little ashamed. I couldn’t believe I said Amber’s name instead of Cassie’s right at the end of our first time. Surprisingly she didn’t say anything, I thought she didn’t notice.

But the embarrassment weighed on me. I told her I was so sorry and she was … understanding. In fact she didn’t even care, so we made love two more times. And both times I made sure to say her name with undeniable pleasure.

She rustled in the bed after the wake-up call. “Good morning,” I said before kissing her neck. Her soft wavy hair was now messy. She groaned.

“Thank you,” I said. She opened her eyes and stared at me with a confused look.

“For what?” she asked sleepily. She cupped my face with her soft hands.

“Last night of course. All of this. It was perfect, well almost,” my voice trailed off.

“Don’t mention it. I wasn’t hurt by it. You’re going through so much right now. It would be foolish of me to think that she doesn’t enter your mind. Granted that was probably not the best time for her to enter,” she said considerately.

“I know. I just don’t want you to think that I’m not over her. It was an accident, it just kind of came out,” I said. She giggled at my unintentional double entendre.

Cassie stood up and rustled through her suitcase, pulling out a fresh outfit for herself.

“I guess I should’ve packed some extra clothes,” I said as I picked up my rumpled up dress shirt off the floor.

“I got you covered!” Cassie said, pulling out some clothes for me out of her suitcase. “Hand me your suit.”

I scrambled around the room for the random pieces of clothing that I barely wore last night. “You just thought of everything didn’t you?” I smiled.

“I even ordered us room service for breakfast,” she smiled while popping her perfectly tanned hip.

“Good because I’ve worked up an appetite with all physical activity we’ve been doing,” I smirked.

Naturally, we showered together and got ready for the day just before room service came by. We sat at the quaint dining table in the room and watched the morning news.

“Delays in the arrivals of eye-witnesses like Jenna Greene, Chris Thorpe, and Rayna Black have forced Amber Cotillard’s case to be pushed back another week at the New York State Courthouse. The suspect, Ryan Searing, has also made a last minute decision to hire a new lawyer,” said an apathetic anchor on MSNBC. I was not feeling as apathetic, that was for sure.

“Aren’t you glad you don’t have to go over there and miss any more school?” Cassie said as we finished our fluffy Belgian waffles.

“Yeah, I just hope the delays don’t sway the jury in any way to believing that Ryan is guilty. Hopefully the new lawyer was also a good decision,” I said. But I already suspected that Damen was the one to convince Ryan to get a new lawyer, and it was probably one that he knew would win the case.

I still didn’t care what Damen did, as long as it succeeded in proving Ryan’s innocence. I hoped he wouldn’t try anything stupid, like paying off the jury, or worse, killing any of them. That was a guaranteed way to get not only him, but me, in trouble. My whole secret could unravel if anyone involved in the case got even the slightest suspicion that the case was being influenced by someone as powerful as Damen.