CHAPTER SIXTEEN

L O R E N Z O

I'd been cautiously lining up my pawns on the board, moving them towards the end at my leisure under the guise of trade. Yet, there was something I hadn't been able to put my finger on which had been incessantly nagging me. I'd gone over my plans; covered every contingency, but apprehension had become a shadow I was seeing even in the brightest corners. It had been quiet the last few weeks. Too quiet. Ever since I'd been made of Grigory Orlov's involvement in what was his attempt at a coup, I'd been forced to expedite my plans to get rid of Angelo. I'd been exercising patience to ensure I didn't bring attention to myself, especially since the FBI had been sniffing around for things they shouldn't have been. However, I was now coming to realize, they weren't a concern right now.

This illusion of a reticent conspiracy had been crafted to blind me to a war that was coming, and I wasn't going to sit back and wait for all three of them to come together and attack at once. We couldn't survive that. And I could no longer wait for Kyzer Knight to get done with his games so he could move on to killing Angelo. It was about time I retook the reigns of this twisted reality, and stopped making moves from the shadows.

There was a soft knock on the door of my office, and I straightened just as Alexandra opened the door, her face set in a grim line.

"You wanted to see me,"

I nodded, "take a seat."

"What's this about, Renzo?" Alex crossed her legs as she leaned back in her seat, "Did you figure out who the rat is?"

"I know who it is, yes."

"Why haven't you taken care of it?"

"Not something you need to worry about." Alexandra opened her mouth with what I'd assume was a protest but I raised my finger, stopping her, "I think it's about time you get back on the field."

"What do you mean? You want me to kill someone?"

"Yes." I leaned forward, "But Alex, don't draw attention to yourself like last time. Even if the tabloids post about this, everything will go to shit."

"You know half of them just like conspiring, and I don't think anyone believes them."

"It's not about the people you do business with at Stelle, it's about the fuckers after the Camorra."

"Oh..." Alex exhaled, closing her eyes for the briefest of seconds, "I'll be discreet. No one will know I even left this building."

"Good."

"Who am I getting rid of?"

"Angelo Esposito."

"What?" Alex's brows furrowed as her face tightened, "I thought Zia forbade you from going after him."

"The situation is different. And I'll talk to Ma. He's colluding with the New York Bratva."

"Motherfucking Orlov." Alex hissed, "Who else knows that I'm going to kill Angelo?"

"You know the answer to that."

Alex nodded, hearing what I hadn't said, "When do I leave?"

"Tonight. You know how to get in touch."

Alexandra nodded, leaving her seat to prepare for departure later tonight, "And Alex?"

"Yeah?"

"Creed isn't one of us. He shouldn't be privy to our dealings."

"Of course." Alexandra smiled bitterly, almost in a way that made me wonder if she was alright, but I kept my doubts to myself because even if she wasn't fine, she wouldn't be appreciative of my prying on what was her business.