CHAPTER TWO

A L E X A N D R A

It wasn't unusual for Andrea to call me; however, it was odd that she was the one calling me first, considering that she hadn't entirely warmed up to me yet and only interacted with me if I instigated it. I understood her reservations, so I hadn't let her quiet, shy nature deter me from striking a reluctant friendship with her. Before answering the phone, I allowed my gaze to slide over to Creed, who was sitting on my couch, a pencil in his hand, his tie loosened, and his sleeves folded up to his forearms as he read over the spreadsheets and my proposal for our new project.

I ran my tongue over my suddenly too dry lips and brought the phone to my ear. However, no amount of physical and mental training could have prepared me for that call.

Andrea sniffled on the other end, and I stiffened, my fingers tightening around my phone,

"Andrea, honey, what's up?"
"Alex," She hiccuped, "I... shot... him," she managed through sobs, and I could feel my heart beating against my chest.

"Shot who?" Before I could finish my sentence, Andrea's scream shook me, and her whimpers followed soon after. "Andrea, what's going on?"

"Let me go, Carlo!" I didn't think Andrea was talking to me anymore, and I stood up, the phone still attached to my ear as I rushed towards the elevator to go to Renzo's penthouse. "I'm not leaving him!"

Before I could step a foot inside the elevator, an arm grabbed mine and turned me around just as I came face to face with Creed. His eyes that I'd always compared to the sea and pebbles narrowed on me as he pinned me with his gaze.
"You can't go up."

For someone who'd been Renzo's lawyer before he was elected CEO, Creed knew a lot about our less-than-legal businesses. However, right now, I wasn't in the mood to listen to anyone, so I twisted my arm and got out of his grip,

"You can't tell me what to do." Creed narrowed his eyes before sighing and stepping into the elevator behind me.

"Then I'm coming with you."

He took out his phone and started typing on it furiously, and it didn't take a genius to know he was calling for backup. Before I could type in the code for Lorenzo's floor, he captured my wrist in his callused hand, and a shiver ran through my spine. I closed my eyes and exhaled, reminding myself that while every man would kill to fuck me, the one man I really wanted didn't want me. And it was no wonder that man was none other than Creed Vaughn. So I channeled my frustration at him,

"What now?"

"Did you at least pick up your gun?" My eyes widened as his jaw hardened, and he reached behind him and took his pistol out of his waistband, handing it to me,

"Here, take it."

"And what will you do?"

"You're a better shot than I am, so it's best if one of us has a gun; it's you." If it hadn't been for the gravity of the situation, I would've smiled, but I nodded and wrapped my fingers around his gun, my fingernails brushing his palm in the process.

I straightened and jammed the code after that, my mind running wild with a million scenarios and none of them any less bloody.

Once we reached his floor and the elevator doors slid open, I wasted no time rushing towards the living room, my shoes clattering against the hard floor. However, even while I imagined the worst, I could have never dreamed of the sight in front of me. I stumbled back into Creed's chest, who cursed under his breath as he steadied me and then stiffened once he saw what I was seeing.