Wrong Number [36]

I just wanted to say: thank you for staying and reading. this story helped me in a way. I wrote a lot of it while sitting with my dad at his cancer treatments and when he was declared cancer free . . . i momentarily took time with my family, my schooling, and work. but thank you for reading. here you go lovelies.

Kylee waited for anything to be said from the other end of the line. She had drawn her knees up to her chest as she spilled everything she had to say to him into the other end. They barely exchanged pleasantries the second she answered the phone, and instead started talking about her life. The stress, the difficulties. It all bore down on her hard.

"Jesus," he breathed, his voice crawling around her ears as he spoke. "Your mom seems like . . . "

"She's not a nice person." She put my phone on speaker and let it rest against her foot as she buried her face and tried to stop crying. "I can barely get myself away from her on my good days, and it's so tiring to do so. She has so much control."

Dennis pauses a moment and says, "You know . . . I don't know what it's like. I wish I could say I understand. But I can say that I do know that you don't deserve it."

"I know. Thanks, Dennis."

He paused again. "I lost one of my dads. When I was little. To a heart attack."

"Want to tell me about it?"

He does.