CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?”

Khai’s words were drowned out as Mazeeda stared at the sight in front of her. She didn’t quite know what she was looking at. There the king was, resting on his side as the palace physician was changing his bandages; the old ones stashed neatly to the side, stained black.

The puncture wound from Sokath’s arrow was visible and it looked as though it did not heal in the slightest. The hole was constantly disappearing as blood flooded out of it and reappearing as the assistants wiped it away.

That did not catch her eye though. It was the color that stained the bandages and rags. The liquid coming out of Khai’s body was too dark to be considered blood. It was black, almost too black if that was ever possible. Maybe in a fool’s eyes it would look like blood, but Mazeeda knew better. She had killed enough animals to know the sight and odor of blood, and this was not it.

“Why do you bleed that color?”

Khai looked at the team of physicians before speaking. “It’s best not to talk about these things right now, my queen.”

Mazeeda nodded.

“Come,” he beckoned, pointing to the chair that was at the head of the bed. “Sit.”

She did.

“YOU MUST BE IN PAIN

“YOU MUST BE IN PAIN.”

“Leave that for me to worry, love of my heart.” The Malik gave her a pathetic grin that didn’t reach his brown eyes. A thin sheet of cold sweat coated his entire body as he lifted himself up into a better position. “Fretting about me will do you no good.”

Mazeeda stared at her husband’s bare torso that was wrapped tightly and cleanly around him. “I think I have a right to worry about your well-being, especially since it was my own blood that…”... nearly killed you, she wanted to say, but it sat bitterly in her mouth, and instead said, “...did this to you.”

“Will it put your heart and mind at ease if I told you that I am and will be fine?”

The queen scoffed out a teasing laugh. “And why should I believe those words?”