CHAPTER THREE

EATING BREAKFAST BY HERSELF with servants standing to the side ready to be instructed left Mazeeda at the edge of her seat the entire time

EATING BREAKFAST BY HERSELF with servants standing to the side ready to be instructed left Mazeeda at the edge of her seat the entire time. She could practically feel their stares and blinks.

She didn't finish breakfast.

She turned the corridor and was surprised to see a man waiting for her.

He bowed down, his hair falling carelessly with it. “Malika, I've been waiting for you.”

She returned the gesture.

He looked at her then, his carmel eyes a contrast to his dark skin he wore proudly. “I am Zaabit, the head of all the guards in this qasr.”

If Mazeeda was to be impressed, she was not.

“I hope you are finding it well here?”

It hit her rather quickly. That skin color, his body structure, his voice. “You're also the Caliph’s right hand man, I know it.”

Zaabit only gave her an amused look, intrigued mostly by how well her memory was.

“You're the only man the Caliph takes to his travels when he seeks another bride. You were there when I was taken.”

He inclines his head. “Indeed, I was.”

Mazeeda shifted her weight to her other foot. “You pointed to me and said I was Shazerade when you knew I wasn't.” A question she's been pushing back was now surfacing onto the shore. “Why?”

Zaabit tipped his head back, pondering on her question, even if he knew the answer. “No woman in any tribe or village I've been to has done that. It was a selfless and intrepid act I haven't seen in a long time, Malika. I pray to my smallgods that it does not go to waste.”

His words were touching, just like Adelah’s. “It will not,” she told him.

SHE FOUND THE GARDEN BY herself even though she walked around the corridor multiple times

SHE FOUND THE GARDEN BY herself even though she walked around the corridor multiple times. And what Mazeeda saw was breathtaking.

The garden had vibrant colors that seemed to be complimenting each other fairly. Flowers even Mazeeda had never seen before brought amazement to her face. And the grass was a stunning green.