CHAPTER TEN

MAZEEDA RESURFACED FROM THE TUB she was in, gasping for air

MAZEEDA RESURFACED FROM THE TUB she was in, gasping for air. Being surrounded by the jasmine scent water for five minutes did nothing to ease her mind.

For some reason, her nerves were not calming down.

She needed to do something productive today, needed to do something with her hands. Needed to get out of the lavish dresses her maids put on her.

"I wish to do something today," the storyteller told Adelah. "Something unusual."

The maid raised her sharp eyebrow. "What is it that you wish to do?"

Mazeeda grabbed the edge of the tub and lifted herself up, the cool sensation wrapping around her like an anaconda. A purple towel wrapped around her body.

She stepped out. "Anything." And walked out to her bedroom, where a green and red dress awaited for her.

"Perhaps sewing?" Nylah suggested, who was approaching the queen with her dress.

Sewing never appealed to the Calipha anymore, not after she was taken from Evilla. Her hands sought for something else.

Mazeeda stepped into her morning dress without resistance. "I..." she began before rewording, "Is Zaabit busy this morning?"

ZAABIT'S STRIDES WERE TOO LONG for the Calipha to keep up with, but she was not going to complain

ZAABIT'S STRIDES WERE TOO LONG for the Calipha to keep up with, but she was not going to complain. Not when she could finally get a better understanding of this home of hers she's been staying at for over a month now.

It felt anything but home. These walls were bleeding with secrets she wanted to uncover. These granite floors had history written all over it that she wanted to read.

They were deep in the qasr, already passing the throne and ball room. Zaabit abruptly stopped in front of two massive doors, lion heads placed on each of them.

"What room is this?" Mazeeda studied her husband's right hand man. His feature was stoic and serious, his face emotionless for such a young man. His beard beginning to grow.

She wondered of a time when it wasn't this.

"The library, Malika." He opened the door and stepped aside to let her in.