CHAPTER TWO

HE SNEERED AT THIS GIRL

"I had expected more from you," he breathed out. "But you're just like the rest of them. Doing everything they can to survive their last night."

"They did it to save their lives, no matter how sinful their actions were." Her eyes had gone just as cold as Khai's.

Two could play this dangerous game.

And she intended to win.

He moved the blade across her neck just slightly, checking to see if she would flinch and cry out. Mazeeda did neither. That pleased him. "And your plan is to tell me a story?"

The story began to take shape, pieces of the tale coming to her at an absurd rate. Each one she plucked from the air.

"Yes." She tilted her neck farther back, exposing her beautiful chestnut skin to him. She would entrance him into a story until the next morning came.

He shook his head. "You foolish girl, not even your stories can save your beautiful throat." His voice sounded desperate and maddening to Mazeeda.

And she took advantage of it.

"In my village," she stalled, "those who had the tongue of a storyteller was looked upon like a smallgod. This was because not everyone was gifted with telling stories of the past well enough."

His grin loosened, but not to her liking.

She continued when he said nothing more. "I am the best storyteller in my village, second to my mother."

He wanted to see how well her words stood. And if they didn't, he'd kill her at a moments notice.

Khai carefully removed his dagger, tucking it back into its spot, leaving her blood on it.

She could finally breathe. But she could not move away from him, his grip like iron on her henna hand.

She didn't know if curiosity got the better of him, like a baby opening a basket to only find a poisonous snake in it, because he said, "What is this story you wish to tell me?"

And like that snake, she would strike.

She held back her smile. "This is a story about how the sun loved the moon so much, it died everyday to let it live." A pause. "Legend goes that on the longest day and the longest night, these two lovers take the form of a human. It was a forbidden love, for their kind was always been at war, wanting to dominate the sky for themselves."

"War is a necessary evil," Khai stated blatantly.

She scowled down at him. "It is not. Those who look up to war as a solution are weak-minded, for they can only speak with their hands and not their mouths. There are other alternatives when traveling down the road of hate. For that is what these lovers did. They had known each other for a long time."