ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ³⁶

ʏᴇꜱ ᴡᴇ ɢᴇᴛ ʙᴀʙʏ ᴊᴀꜱᴘᴇʀ'ꜱ ᴘᴏᴠ. ᴍʏ ꜱᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ʟɪʟ ᴍᴀɴ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪꜱ ᴀᴄᴛᴜᴀʟʟʏ ᴀ ʙɪɢ ʟɪʟ ᴍᴀɴ.

ɢᴏᴅ ɪ ɢᴇᴛ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʜᴇ ꜰᴇᴇʟꜱ ʟɪᴋᴇ. ᴏɴʟʏ ᴏɴᴇ ᴘᴇʀꜱᴏɴ ʀᴇᴀʟʟʏ ᴄᴀɴ ᴄᴏᴍꜰᴏʀᴛ ᴍᴇ ᴀᴛ ᴛʜɪꜱ ᴘᴏɪɴᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ɴᴏᴡ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴀʀᴇ ɪɴꜱɪᴅᴇ ᴅᴜᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴄᴏʀᴏɴᴀ ɪ ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ꜱᴇᴇ ʜᴇʀ. ɪ ᴍɪꜱꜱ ʜᴇʀ ꜱᴏ ᴍᴜᴄʜ...

ᴛʜɪꜱ ʙᴏᴏᴋ ᴊᴜꜱᴛ ʜɪᴛ ²⁰ᴋ ʀᴇᴀᴅꜱ ᴀ ᴡʜɪʟᴇ ʙᴀᴄᴋ ᴀɴᴅ ɪꜱ ɴᴏᴡ ᴀᴛ ᴏᴠᴇʀ ⁸⁰ᴋ ᴡᴏʀᴅꜱ. ɪ ᴊᴜꜱᴛ ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ʙᴇʟɪᴇᴠᴇ ɪ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴡʀɪᴛᴛᴇɴ ᴛʜɪꜱ ᴍᴜᴄʜ ɪɴ ᴀ ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ᴏᴠᴇʀ ᴀ ᴍᴏɴᴛʜ. ɪᴛ ʀᴇᴀʟʟʏ ɪꜱ ᴀɴ ᴀᴄᴄᴏᴍᴘʟɪꜱʜᴍᴇɴᴛ.

Jasper's POV

My breathing remained ragged as Rose helped me out of the plane. Nothing made sense anymore. The world that I had made for myself, all of the walls that I had put up around my own emotions and my gift were falling down, leaving what was left of me.

I felt like I was alone, even if people were all around me. Nothing shook my feelings of loneliness. It didn't matter how many people tried to comfort me, the one person who I wanted wasn't here.

Anna. The girl who I had grown to love like she was my own sister, my own family. In the end, she was what I wanted more than anything. To hear her voice again, to see her newly immortal face. I hadn't gotten a chance to see her, not really.

Out of everyone I had ever met, she was the one that made me feel like I had found a home, found a place where someone loved me just as much as I loved them.

A city of blood and gore, the main base of the ruling coven of vampires, Volterra truly was a beautiful place. It's beauty could not be admired by my golden eyes. I just kept my head down, making sure that no humans could see what we were, what we really were. They thought that they had gotten rid of us for good, that we were never going to step foot in their city.

Vampires had never left.

"Jaz," Rose whispers, holding me close to her, protecting me from whatever could come next. It wasn't like the Volturi were just going to let in a coven without cause. Some of us didn't even have gifts. The ones that did couldn't be worth their time. "Stay close to me. It's going to be okay."

The problem was that it didn't feel like that. No, it didn't feel like I would ever be okay again. I felt numb, hollow to the core. She was missing from me and no matter how much I called out to her in my head, she wouldn't be able to hear me. I was cut off completely, with our letter exchange being the only real contact we had for the last four months.

My numbness did not exclude the complete pain I felt when even thinking about her.

"Jazzy," Emmett whispers to me, "Carlisle just got off the phone with Aro. You can see her. He promised that you could see her. She wants to see you too."

His words did nothing for me. Words meant nothing. Even the words that tore me apart would mean nothing.

Anna's words meant something. Those words would mean something to me.

God, I missed her. Her voice, her comfort, her everything. Everything about her just felt like home.

I wanted home back more than anything else in this world. No hunger, no nothing, just home.

"Jasper," Carlisle's voice was soft as he walked next to me, putting his hand on my shoulder. "I know it doesn't feel okay now, but your sister loves you and she is going to see you once we get inside the castle. She-"