ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ⁹

ᴛʜᴇ ᴘɪᴄᴛᴜʀᴇ ᴀʙᴏᴠᴇ ꜱʜᴏᴡꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅʀᴇꜱꜱᴇꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ɢɪʀʟꜱ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴠᴏʟᴛᴜʀɪ ᴄʜᴏꜱᴇ ᴏᴜᴛ. ᴊᴜꜱᴛ ᴛᴏ ᴄʟᴀʀɪꜰʏ, ɪ ᴘᴜᴛ ꜱᴜʟᴘɪᴄɪᴀ'ꜱ ᴅʀᴇꜱꜱ ᴜᴘ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ, ʙᴜᴛ ꜱʜᴇ ᴅɪᴅ ɴᴏᴛ ɢᴏ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴀɴɴᴀʟɪꜱᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ɢɪʀʟꜱ. ʀᴇɴᴀᴛᴀ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ɴᴏᴛ ᴀʟʟᴏᴡ ꜰᴏʀ ᴀɴɴᴀʟɪꜱᴇ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ʜᴀʀᴀꜱꜱᴇᴅ ʙʏ ꜱᴜʟᴘɪᴄɪᴀ ɪɴ ʜᴇʀ ᴘʀᴇꜱᴇɴᴄᴇ.

A week had passed since I had gotten my dress. The ball was today and I would be making my first statement in front of the rest of the world. I would have my mates and guards around me at all times, keeping me protected from and potential vampire dangers. I don't believe any newborns were welcomed to this party, so the issue of control should not come up.

The Cullens had been invited to the ball. I think that they all knew what was going to happen. Edward had refused to come. I got another letter from Carlisle saying that he and the rest of the Cullens would be very happy to see me again. Oddly, Alice included. I hope that she had gotten it through her skull that rejecting one's mate would be foolish. I could blame her actions on the fact that she had not yet found her true mate like Carlisle and Rosalie, who would have likely told her the woes of what rejection could do to all parties of the bond.

I knew that as long as Alice and the rest of the family did not speak poorly of my mates in front of me, I would have no problem being friends with them again. It had been little over a week since I had seen or heard from them last. I knew that ever since I got those letters, I knew where my allegiance lay. If the people from Forks would be accepting, I would be keeping them as friends. If they did not accept me, I would not accept them as my friends. I didn't frankly care what their intentions were, if they spoke poorly of my mates, they spoke poorly of me. My mates are a part of me and would be for all of eternity.

I had finally gotten on my dress for the ball, allowing the purple dress to flow out around my body. Well, this is what most of the vampire covens of the world are going to see me in for the first time. I hope that I look good because I would not want to upset the eyes of these vampires. Actually, I would rather not upset the eyes of my mates.

The drill had been simple: wait in my room until Demetri came in to escort me to the ballroom that held over 200 vampires. Aro would make his speech announcing my arrival beforehand so that vampires could ready themselves for a human in their presence.

It would be weird, seeing so many vampires concentrated into one large ballroom. I had only maybe seen 50 in my life, and that was in Forks and throughout the castle. Believe it or not, the Volturi is huge. No wonder they were the ruling coven, they had so many damn vampires to back them up. In a way, it made things much easier around the castle. I knew that if someone were to attack, I would be safe, guarded from anyone who wished me harm.

"Queen Annalise, it is time to make your," Demetri looked me up and down, "You look great, Annalise. Seriously, the entire ballroom is going to be shocked. You look like a goddess," Demetri compliments. I blush and thank him, taking him by the arm to walk me down the empty hall. Aro had made sure that nobody lingered in the hallways like they usually would during parties, either making out or talking, away from the music.

The walk down the hall was quiet, most of the guests inside of the ballroom staying quiet. Demetri pointed to a large set of doors. "Walk down the aisle there. Your mates will be in view on the other side," Demetri commanded. I listened to him, opening the doors.

The entire ballroom was gasping as I made my way down a small slip of carpet that led to where my mates were standing. Each of them had a smile on their handsome faces. God, is it bad that I want to kiss all three of them so hard right now? I mean we've only known each other and been together for a week but this bond is making it really hard for me to hold back right now.