ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ¹³

ᴀʜʜʜ ᴛʜᴇ ʙɪɢ ᴅᴀʏ!

Humanity, it was the one thing I had learned to dislike about being on the Earth. Today was the day that I would rid myself from it's confines.

The process itself was actually quite straightforward. Marcus would bite me, I would scream and cry out in pain, and then I would be reborn. I had been given the choice of having Alec put me out of my misery with his gift, and I had halfway agreed. Alec would put me out once I gave the signal. I wanted to feel the pain. Getting the easy way out just seemed wrong. I would only tell Alec to put me out when I was at my very limit.

The room that I stood in was a slate gray, the walls being that of pure stone. It felt more like a torture chamber than a changing room. Then again, from what I had heard about changing, it could be both.

My mates were at my side, awaiting for me to lay down on the steel table. I sucked in a large breath and slowly walked to the cold table. Aro and Caius walked to my left side, giving Marcus access to my neck for when he would bite. My mate would bite when I asked him to.

I could tell that Alec was worried. He must have watched this happen at least a few times. I mean, he was the one who could numb the pain of the change. These kinds of affairs were the kind that the rest of the world did not pay attention to. They only paid attention to how Alec could incapacitate an enemy, not how he could numb the pain of turning or the pain of a friend. In a way, his gift was one of kindness, not cruelty.

Aro squeezed my hand. My heart was beating at the speed of light. I knew that this was what I wanted, what I needed. This was the right decision. It was just the act of going through with it was stressful. I did not want my mates to be away while I did this, but I also did not want my mates to see me in such a horrifying state. I would likely be screaming and crying the entire time. Putting them through that would be awful.

"Cara mia, are you okay?" Caius asks. "Your heart-"

"I'm fine, Caius. Just. . ." I sigh, squeezing Aro's cold hand. "Do it, Marcus," I tell Marcus, who took in a deep, unneeded breath, before biting into my neck.

The pain that I felt after that was unnerving. I could feel the venom spreading throughout my body. I tried to keep myself quiet, not wanting to hurt anyone's ears. My mates grimaced as I thrashed around. It was hot, like liquid fire running through me. I felt like I was being burned alive on the inside as my mate's venom infected me. I let out one cry before my vision started to get starry. Tears leaked from my eyes as my heart started to hurt.

Everything was starting to hurt worse than it had before. Before it was fire, now it was poison. Now the poison had started to take effect. Nothing felt right. Everything was wrong. The venom was sending depressive signals to my brain that just made me want to hurry up and die already. The pain that I felt from the process of dying was not what I thought it would be. I knew that I would eventually be okay, but right now I was not okay. I was hurting more than ever.

My head couldn't keep focus as I began to feel weak. This was what happened when a vampire fed, this weakness was to keep them down. Caius looked as if he was going to go crazy as I cried out, my back uncomfortably hitting the table. The bond between us was shaking from their stress over my reaction to the pain. I could feel their emotions much clearer, even in my turning form. They were upset that I was upset.

This was pain unlike any other. This was the kind of pain that you could never even dream of. It was a nightmare.

I move my head slightly to look at Alec. It had become too much, the pain was going to eat me alive. I nodded my head at him and the darkness washed over me.