ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ¹⁴

My life had never been simple in the slightest but being a queen had to be the most complicated thing I had ever done. Two days after my transformation I was set to be witness to the first trial since my turning. Although crimes had been committed since then, my mates had decided that it would be best if they took time off to help me adjust to immortality.

"Are you ready, il mio amore?" Aro asks me. I nod, holding his hand in mine. It didn't feel as cold anymore, as I no longer had my own warm hand to compare it to. "I promise that you will be well guarded, il mio amore. None of the criminals will be able to get to you."

"Aro, baby, I'm not worried about the criminals. Even if they did get to me, which they won't with both Demetri and Felix by my side, I'm a newborn. I will be stronger than them and will likely be able to easily pull their heads right off. You three need to calm down. There is no way that I could get hurt during trial," I try and comfort my agitated mate.

With immortality, I could read his emotions much better, knowing when he was happy or annoyed. It was good for many things, but it became overwhelming sometimes, as I would read and react to all of my mates emotions. Marcus says that this is normal and that it is not a power like Jasper's if I can not read anyone else. He seemed to know everything about mates, so I just took everything he said as fact.

"I know, tesoro, it is just worrying, having you in there with those criminals. Most of the people that we find are proven guilty, as sad as that is. You are my mate and to even think of losing you is unbearable," Aro's voice grows quiet as we walk into the throne room. Caius and Marcus instantly turn their heads and smile at me.

Nobody had come in the room yet. Jane and Alec were likely dragging the man in, Lukas, who had been accused of feeding off of large families. I felt sick thinking about it. I still had morals. Feeding off of children is wrong in so many ways. Why would a person even want to drink that much blood at once anyways? I was a newborn and I would get full after the second person I ate. My hunger was supposed to be uncontrollable.

My mate sat down on his throne in the middle of the platform, looking smug as ever. Marcus laughed as I sat myself on Aro's laugh unexpectedly, causing the raven-haired male to blink in shock. I kissed Aro's cheek as the supposed criminal came in. His yellowish hair and his slightly battered clothes stood out. He was reasonable looking, not comparing to any of my mates in the slightest. He looked at me and smirked.

"I see the human queen is human no more," Lukas says in a deep Russian accent. "Ты выглядишь прекрасно. Бессмертие тебе идет. Если бы ты не была королевой, я бы сделала тебя своей," he says, not knowing that I can understand everything that he says. Marcus, the only one out of my mates that knows Russian, growls at Lukas and almost gets out of his throne.

"Если окажется, что ваши привычки в еде так же отвратительны, как и флирт, я позволю Маркусу разорвать вас на части и бросить ваши останки в огонь," I sneer. Aro and Caius just sit back, not knowing exactly what was going on. Lukas' breath hitches as Marcus laughs at him.

"What does it matter, my Queen? You will allow me to die either way, if I am innocent does not matter to you," Lukas claims. He turned when he was 19. He fed off of a family of five. He was born in West Virginia in 1956. His lover turned away from him when he turned and as a newborn he killed her. Her name was Kelly. He has killed seven blood singers. He hates the Volturi with a burning passion. He loves Kelly and wants to die. That's why he killed the family. He may hate the Volturi, but he knows that they will kill him if he slaughters a family the way that he did. He ripped them open like an animal. He enjoyed it. He hates that he enjoyed it. His killing reminds him of why Kelly had rejected him after he turned. He feels like he's a monster. In his eyes, all vampires are monsters.