Chapter 13: Still Dark

The footsteps got closer and closer and grab my axe, ready to attack if necessary. 

"Iver-" someone whispers before hitting the ground. 

"SEAN!" Iveris screams as she runs towards him. 

"Oh my gosh Sean, are you okay!?" she asks frantically. I help her pick him up and lay him on the blanket. 

His side is severely wounded, so is his left arm. 

"We need to disinfect his wounds then bandage them. I know some leaves that could help, I would just need to find some. This jungle might not have them." 

"Let's wash the blood off." Iveris says before getting up and getting water from the waterfall then pouring it on Sean's wounds. 

"This will take too long. Nitri, can you help me carry him over there?" Iveris asks. I nod my head then grab his feet as she grabs his arms. We lift him up and stagger over to the waterfall then set him down on the sand. 

"Sean, stay awake. It's okay, Sean. Keep your eyes open, Sean." Iveris soothes. She takes deep breaths as we clean his wounds, and I can tell she's trying to stay strong. I rip off a piece of the sleeping bag and wrap it around his arm, and Iveris does the same to his side. We slowly carry him over to the shelf of rock and Iveris lays his head on her backpack. 

"Sean, what happened?" she asks as he opens his eyes. 

"I-I ran at him then I..." he takes a deep breath then continues, even though the pain on his expression is obvious. "Swung my sword at him but he deflected then kicked me on the ground... I blocked a blow from his scythe then tripped him, giving me time to get up. I slashed his back and he screamed then got up and gave me the wound in my side. I fell on the ground in pain and he was about to finish me off, so I rolled to the side in an attempt to dodge, but he got my arm. I got on my knees and practically threw my sword at him; I know it wasn't the smartest idea, but it did the trick. He collapsed and a cannon fired, signifying his death. I stood up and made my way back to you two, that's when I fell." 

Iveris sits by him and runs her fingers through his dirty-blonde hair. 

"Well, you're here now. Safe." she says. I stand up and get a drink of water from the waterfall and think about Titus. 

The rain has let up a little bit, but it's still dark. Strange; it seems like it's been dark for hours and hours. I walk back to Iveris and Sean and sit down. 

"Have you realized that it's still night?" Iveris asks. 

"Yeah, I was just thinking about that." I reply. "How long do you think until the night will end?" 

Iveris just sighs. "I don't know. Maybe it will never end." 

What if it does never end? I think to myself. 

Iveris and I start telling each other about our homes. 

"So," I ask "What was it like back home?" Iveris thinks for a moment the replies, 

"I lived by the ocean with my parents and my younger sister, Coral. Dad worked as a fisherman and he was gone most of the day. Mom usually stayed home though, because she made nets, and that job can be done at home. It usually took Coral and I about fifteen minutes to get to school. Sometimes we would..." Iveris went on about her life then eventually asked me about mine. 

"I lived next to the lumber yard with my ten-year-old sister Otillie and my dad. My mom died years ago, leaving Dad to take care of us. My best friend, Eta Combe, lives only a few houses away, so I saw her a lot. My dad is gone most of the day, also, so I take care of Otillie most of the time. Our school is only a few minutes away, and I would always stop by Eta's house so we could walk to school together..." I keep telling her about my life until we get tired. Iveris takes first watch and I fall asleep almost instantly. 

It seems like only a few minutes later when Iveris wakes me up telling me it's my turn for the watch. 

"Iveris," I say, "it's still dark. That's a bad sign. It's got to have already been three or four days already! If it's always dark-" 

BOOM! 

BOOM! 

BOOM! 

Four cannons. That means there are only 7 Tributes left. I really hope one of them is Titus. 

Panem's National Anthem plays and it shows the fallen for today. 

The girl from 3

The girl from 5 

The guy from 8 

The guy from 9 

The girl from 9 

The guy from 10 

That leaves Sean, Iveris, me, the guy from 1, the girl from 2, the girl from 6, and... Titus. 

I try to stay calm, but I'm so excited that Titus is alive, I can't help but let out a little squeal. I tuck my knees up to my chest and rock back and forth, thinking of where Titus could be. 

A few hours later, Iveris and Sean wake up and I tell them who is still out there. Iveris smiles and hugs me when I say that Titus is still alive. 

She insists that we start looking for him now, and I don't object. 

We help Sean up then help him walk. He told us the direction he saw Titus go at the bloodbath, so we head towards the mountains. 

After a while, Sean can walk on his own, but not very fast. I keep glancing behind us, hoping that no one has seen us yet. We make it to the base of a mountain and Iveris suggests we climb to the top and look at the layout of the arena, when someone calls my name. 

"Nitri!" 

I turn around with my axe ready but only see the silhouette of someone. They take a step closer and that's when I see who it is. 

"Titus!" I practically scream as I run into is arms, dropping my axe. "Titus, we have been looking for you for days! Where have you been?!" I ask. 

"I've been looking for you guys too. I lost track of you in the bloodbath so I just ran, knowing that I could find you later." he replies. He smiles when .he sees Iveris and Sean walking towards him, but the smile disappears when he sees Sean's wounds. 

"What happened?" he asks. 

"We'll tell you later, when we make camp." Iveris replies. 

I pick up my axe then Titus leads us to his hiding place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you think??? Pleasepleaseplease tell me if i should fix anything!!!!

Thanks 4 Reading!!

-h@zel