Chapter 4: Getting Prepared

I get out of bed and look out the window to see cheering crowds dressed oddly in vivid colors. Yep, this is the Capitol.

I make my way to the dining cart and sit down at the table; in front of me is a plate full of all different kinds of foods, only a few of which I can name. There are two pancakes with maple syrup drizzled on top, two scrambled eggs, four pieces of thick sliced bacon, and orange slices. The rest, as I said, are unknown to me. I dig into the pancakes and eat as much as I can before Rupalia comes in, and when she sees me, is horrified.

“What are you doing!?” she squeals.

“What? Eating before we leave the train.”

“You look like you just got up!”

“I did just get up.”

“Just look at you! You’re hair is matted, you’re still in that dirty old dress, and your eating your food like a savage! We are arriving in fifteen minutes!”

She practically pulls me out of my chair and sends me with an avox to go get dressed. I put on a silky light blue shirt and black pants, along with silver flats. I brush out my hair until it’s smooth then put it into a french braid and wash my face as fast as I can, then run back into the dining car, checking to see if my necklace is still on. Thankfully, it is because Rupalia is more than ready to go.

“Two minutes!”

She walks as fast as she can towards the door and almost trips. We make it just in time, right as the doors are opening. Titus is still wearing his Reaping clothes. Indigo probably doesn’t care what Titus wears.

Saffra pats me on the back then we step out of the train into the cheering, screaming crowds. Thankfully, lots of peacekeepers are holding them back. After waving to the crowds and getting led into the training center, I’m put into the hands of my stylists. Auricula, Majoris, and Lartius.

As they lead me into the room where I will be getting "beautified", I study my stylists. Auricula has light aqua skin and her radiant aqua hair (obviously a wig) is SUPER curly and shines everytime it hits light. Her dress (that, I might add, is way to short for her) is the same color of her hair but covered in sequins. Her shoes are at least ten inches tall but instead of being aqua like the rest of her attire, they're hot pink to accent her clothing.

Majoris’ dark green and silver hair is slicked back, making his forehead look huge. His suit is black with green stripes that glow, and his pants are the same.

Lartius is bald and his skin is light purple. His suit is bright blue, along with his pants and shoes, making him look like a piece of brightly colored candy.

They talk in their ridiculous Capitol accents which drives me crazy- so much so, that I open my mouth to tell Auricula to shut up, but close my mouth again just in time.

“I think we should start with the hair.” Majoris says. They shampoo, condition, and trim my hair about an inch.

“Oh, look at these split ends!” Auricula exclaims as they trim. When they’re done, they decide to do the waxing. They do strips at a time, and it hurts so much I scream.

After that they pluck my eyebrows, which hurts a lot also. When they’re done, they lead me to a room where I will meet my main stylist; a woman with pink skin and even pinker clothes walks in and smiles, revealing her hideous silver teeth.

“Hello, dear. My name is Domitia Ballyntynn.”

She must be at least 50, but she has so much plastic surgery and makeup that it’s obvious that she’s trying to look like she’s in her 20’s.

“As you know, tonight is the Opening Ceremonies. Since you are from District Seven, and District Seven is lumber and paper, you will be dressed in... paper!” she squeals with delight at the last word.

“What?” I ask. "Paper?"

“I mean, you’ll at least be covered in paper. You’ll be wearing a white dress under paper that is folded into shapes- It’s called origami.”

I'm still confused, but after arguing with myself whether or not I should refuse to wear it, I decide to trust her. She leaves the room for a little bit then comes back holding a white dress. It only goes down to just above my knees and the skirt is poofy. She helps me put it on then ties it in the back. She then leaves the room again and comes back in a few minutes carrying a box full of things. She sets it down on the cot then opens it to reveal a bunch of paper inside. She takes a piece out then folds it in different directions, then unfolds it a bit so it’s a now beautiful piece of paper. She does a lot more, putting them on my dress.

She then gets out a white headband and folds a large piece of paper then unfolds it so it’s a big fan. She glues that to the headband then puts it on me. It seems tacky for the Capitol and isn’t what I’d normally like to wear of course, but it’ll work. At least I don't have to be like the Tributes in District 12 who have to be stark naked in some of the Opening Ceremonies. Ugh, that would be the most humiliating thing in the world.

After seeing that the headband fits right, Domitia takes it off then puts my hair into a bunch of twisting french braids, then puts gives me white eye shadow and sparkly white mascara that shimmers every time I blink. Then she puts disgusting silver lipstick on me and puts powder on my face to tone out my skin. When I look in the mirror, it doesn’t look at all like me.

“Aren’t they supposed to recognize me?” I ask.

“Oh, it’s fine. They all know that you are the girl from Seven.”

She looks at the clock then starts pushing me out the door after I put white high heels on. They are extremely hard to walk in, especially when she’s literally pushing me to get there faster. When we’re there, I see Titus, also dressed in paper. Saffra and Indigo give us a few tips then it’s time to get in the chariots.