Epilogue

My life isn't as full as it once was.

Every time I look out the window, something is missing.

I don't have that joy that I had before the Games.

Every time I smile, it isn't real. It's hollow and unconvincing.

Every time I close my eyes, the dead faces of the Tributes haunt me.

Down with the Capitol.

Three Years Later...

I walk through the streets of District Seven, thinking about the past happenings. I miss Iveris so much, I don't know why I miss her like I do- we barely even knew each other. There was something about her though, I just can't put it into words.

I open the door to the market and look around for something to get for Otillie.

"Nitri hi!"

I turn around and see Talia. I hug her and smile.

"How are you?" I ask.

"Good. How are you?"

"Same as always." I reply.

"I have to go now, my mom is waiting for me! See you soon!"

She walks off and waves goodbye to me, and I wave back.

I am walking through one of the aisles when I slip on somehting and fall on the ground, hard.

"Oh my gosh, are you okay!?" A guy runs up to me and helps me up. I'm aching all over from the hard fall, but I try to cover it up.

"Yeah..." I trail off, suddenly I realizing what this reminds me of:

The training center.

Falling on the ground.

Iveris helping me up then asking the same question that he asked-

"You took a pretty hard fall. Are you sure your okay?" he asks again. I nod my head and look at him for the first time. He has tousled dark brown hair, brown eyes, he's tall, and has a strong build.

"Wait- your Nitri, right? You won the Quarter Quell." he points out. Oh great, now he knows who I am. Ever since the Games I've tried to be unnoticable, but it's hard when everyone has seen you on TV previously.

"Uh, yeah. But don't make a big deal about it, please. I'm trying to forget." I say as kindly as I can.

"Oh, okay. I understand. But... I mean... I'm honored to meet you! I've never met a Victor before, and it's just amazing- wait- ugh, how rude of me not to introduce myself! I'm Alder Lockheart."

"Alder... Nice name." I say. Some how we get into a conversation, and I end up inviting him to dinner at my house. He agrees, so I say goodbye and go home. When I tell Dad, he seems unsure.

"Is he a nice guy? Not one of those brutes- right? You're so young, only twenty-one."

"Dad, he's just a friend!" I reply.

I clean up, but don't dress fancy or anything. Otillie wants to wear her new yellow dress, though. I comb out her hair and put it in two pigtails, then we hear the doorbell. I run down then open the door, letting Alder come in.

"Hi, Alder!" I say. All the sudden I'm full of energy, and have this weird feeling in the pit of my stomach. We have a nice dinner, then he goes home.

We meet a lot after that, and a few months later, we're officially boyfriend-girlfriend. Then a year later he asks me if I want to go on a walk. I agree, then we walk through the streets, holding hands.

We sit down on a bench in the Square and watch the sun set, and he points to something in the distance.

"Nitri look over there!"

I look at where he was pointing, but only see the forest in the distance.

"I don't see anything-" I start to say as I turn back to him. That's when I see what he's holding.

In his hand is a small wooden box, and he opens it revealing a plain silver ring. I can barely breath. I just stare, unsure of what to do. He gives a little speech, then asks me something:

"Nitri, will you marry me?"

I'm filled with joy and wrap my arms around him.

"Yes!" I say between sobs of joy. He slips the ring on my ring finger then we walk back to my house to tell Otillie and Dad.