Chapter 1: Chosen to Die

Author: Hazel

"Greetings, Panem." says President Snow on the Television. "This year we celebrate our Twenty-Fifth Annual Hunger Games. For this special occasion, our protocol will change. Rather than Reaping twenty-four tributes for the honor of representing their District as we have done for twenty-five years, all citizens of each District who are over the age of nineteen shall vote for two Tributes, one male and one female."
You know that feeling when you're lying down, falling asleep, when suddenly you get that falling sensation and your heart seems to skip a beat?
That I exactly what I felt in that moment though I was wide awake.
Snow continues his speech as father sends my sister and I to bed. Reaping day is in four days.
I barely sleep that night. Though the chance is slight that I'll get chosen, my refuse to cease tormenting me. I have no incredible traits other than the fact that I'm fast and strong for my size. I am skilled with an axe, but here in District Seven, everybody is. I won't get chosen.

Morning, four days later.
Otillie sits on our bed and watches me as I slip on a soft lavender dress that goes down to my knees.

"You look pretty in that dress. You should wear it more." She tells me in a quiet voice.

"Thank you." I give a faint smile, but fear prevents me from finding joy in most anything. "I know you won't get picked." She informs me, "Everybody here likes you. Plus, you're too pretty to be sent away. So you're alright." She kisses me on the check then leaves to go downstairs and make breakfast.

I brush out my long auburn hair and put it into a french braid, looking out at the empty streets through the window.

I then reach into my dresser and take out my silver leaf necklace; something that Mom gave me the year before she died. After fastening it arround my neck I grab Otillie's hand and walk down the stairs, followed by a nice breakfast with Dad. As I'm washing my plate in the sink we hear the horn signaling the Reaping; here we go.

I grab one more piece of bread then Dad, Otillie and I walk to the Justice building where I hug them goodbye before standing in line to get my finger pricked. It hurts more than usual, but I keep my head high and breath deeply. I stand in the 18 year old section by my best friend, Talia Combe. I have to admit, I've always been jealous of her looks. She has long wavy brunette hair, electric blue eyes, and soft features. And, to add to my jealousy, she's a bit taller and faster than I am, is a great friend to everybody, and everyone seems to warm up to her easily; I'm practically the opposite. Talia is the type of person you wish you knew. She's my only friend, if you don't count my sister.

"Welcome, welcome! Happy Hunger Games and may the odds be ever in your favor!"

Rupalia Herriot, the escort this year, is standing onstage, her frilly blue dress swishing every time she moves. Somone hands her a piece of paper with all the votes on it and she takes it gingerly, as to not ruin her nails.

"As you all know, in the past three days everyone over the age of eighteen has voted for two Tributes for the honor of represtenting District Seven in the Twenty-Fifth Annual Hunger Games! One male has been voted in, and the other female!" she waits for applause, but finds the square silent.

She then reads the piece of paper to herslef and clears her throat,

"The female winner is... Nitri Keene!"

My heart stops and I can't move. Me? Why me!? I blink and try to regain my composure as I slowly make my way onto the stage. Rupalia pats me on my shoulder and when she asks for volunteers, no one. She quickly goes on, as if her time is being wasted

"And the male winner is... Titus Thorn!"

A boy from the 18 year old section walks up, emotionless. Again, no volunteers. His hair is dirty blonde and he's very muscular, obviously from years of using an axe. His eyes are green, just like the leaves on the trees surrounding the district.

"Let's have a big round of applause for our District Seven Winners!" Rupalia says excitedly.

A few weak claps, but nothing big.

"Happy Hunger Games! And, may the odds be ever in your favor!"

She leads us offstage and I get one glimpse of Talia. Then she's gone.