Chapter 17: Going Home

I wake up in a pure white room, strapped to a bed.

Where am I? I think to myself as I frantically look around. A woman with dark hair comes in and checks some papers on a desk on the far wall.

"Where am I!?" I frantically ask her.

"You're the Victor, Nitri. You won." she says as she turns to me. All of a sudden too many memories come flooding into my mind. Iveris is dead. Sean is dead. I murdered two people. 23 people died.

It's too much and I pass out, waking up later in the same room, with doctors bustling about.

"Nitri," the same dark haired doctor that I saw before says, "let's get you to your stylist. Your interview is tonight."

She helps me get up and leads me to the 7th floor and when the doors open, I almost with joy and run into Saffra's arms, sobbing.

"You did it, Nitri! You won."

I am greeted by everyone else then am immediatly led to my prep room, where they 'fix' everything about me again.

"Oh, hon, you did amazing!" Auricula says, "And when you found the dead Iveris, I was like, 'You go, girl! Kill that Titus!' And then I was like..." she keeps talking on and on, and is very upset when I get to go to Domitia, my stylist.

"You did amazing, dear! Just think of me! I was so worried about you! And now that you've won, Districts will be BEGGING me to be their stylist! Can you imagine!? I might even get District One or Two!"

She eventually leaves the room and brings in my dress.

It's a soft blue, has short sleeves, the skirt is longer in the back and shorter in the front, swishing every time I move.

I slip it on and examine myself in the mirror. I don't look the same as I did before the arena. There's a look of fear in my green eyes, I'm much scrawnier, my features not as soft as they were.

Before I can examine more, Domitia brings me to a smaller mirror and does my makeup. Not too much, just enough to make me still look natural, but more beautiful.

Domitia straightens my hair and gives me black flats. She then polishes my silver leaf necklace, but has some trouble getting all the blood off. Strange that they didn't take it off me when I was passed out.

She paints my nails silver and by then, we only have an hour before the interviews, so we sit down on a soft couch and are silent until Domitia asks a question.

"Hungry?"

"I'm a little thirsty." I reply quietly. She leaves the room for a second then brings back a glass of water. "Careful not to smear your lipstick!" she says jokingly. I don't even smile, though. She doesn't understand what it's like in the Games at all. I take small sips of water and soon, we are led to the stage where I will get interviewed then watch the 3 hour highlights of the Games.

In the interview, I'm in a daze and just answer yes or no. Caesar manages to make some jokes, though.

After the interview, President Snow gives a speech, puts a gold crown on my head, then we go strait into watching the Games. I clutch the edge of my seat when it shows Titus kill Iveris. He wakes her up and says he wants to show her something, so she gets up and follows. Then he gets his axe ready and just as she turns around, slits her throat. More anger boils up inside me and when it shows me kill him, it's just too much. I get out of my seat and run offstage. I pass the peacekeepers and run up to my room then start sobbing. Saffra comes up after me and puts her hand on my shoulder.

"Nitri, lets go home." she puts her arms around my shoulders and we board the train that we were supposed to get on later. The others are already on, so everything has been communicated. We start off back towards home and Saffra sits me down at the table and makes me eat something. I am starving once I think about it, so I eat as much as I can then go to bed, realizing that ever since the Games started, 575 children have been killed.

The next morning, I am woken by Saffra, telling me that we're back to District Seven. I'm up and out of bed before she can finish saying District! I don't care if I'm still in my old dress from last night, or if my makeup is ruined. I'm home!

The doors of the train open and I stand at the railing, waving to the District. My heart stops when I see Dad, Otillie and Talia trying to make their way up to the front. Otillie makes eye contact with me and screams with joy.

"OTILLIE! DAD! TALIA!" I scream over the crowds and jump off the train, running into their arms. I'm home, and no one can take it away from me now.

THE END

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How did you like the story???????????????????????????? This took me SO LONG to write, I hope you enjoyed it! PLEASE give me feedback! I need to know if I need to fix/change anything! :D

Thanks for reading ;)

-h@zel