Chapter 5: Opening Ceremonies

I step up into the chariot with the help of Saffra and after Titus gets in, the chariot jerks forward and I almost fall out but keep a firm grip on the railing. We go out onto the street after the Tributes from District 6. Cheering crowds are on both sides, screaming our names and throwing hats and roses. I wave to the crowd and blow them kisses, and I think I see one of them in the front row faint! I try to catch some flowers, but can't.

When we stop, President Snow appears on a large screen and gives his speech, mostly drowned out by the screaming crowds. After he’s done, the chariots jerk forward again and we disappear into a dark tunnel where we come back out in the large room where we first came out. I quickly jump on the ground and hug Saffra, she's my only friend here so I like being around her the most. Rupalia pats me on the back and we walk back to our apartment where I take a shower then change into a purple tank top and soft black pants. After brushing out my hair and putting it back into a french braid, I sit down on my bed and turn on the TV to watch the Reapings.

The Tributes from District One look like big threats; the guy is muscular and the girl is very fit; you can tell they're itching to kill anyone possible. Same with the Tributes from 2. The Tributes from District 4 don't look as scary, though. A girl named Iveris got picked, she looks like a good ally. When it comes to my District, I turn the TV off then go to bed, sobbing.