Chapter 10: Almost in the Games

I sit up and find myself shaking wildly. I’m not surprised; today is most likely my last day to live.

I try to stay calm; I breath steadily and close my eyes.

It’s okay, Nitri. You’re fast and limber. You’re strong with an axe. You’ll be fine. I think to myself. Rupalia swings the door open and strides in, grabbing my wrist and pulling me into the living room where my prep team stands in a line, trying to keep in their excitement. Instantly, I’m taken to the room where they hose me down, wash my hair then brush it out. They hug me goodbye then take me to my stylist, who is excited for the games also.

“Nitri, you little sweetheart! I am just so excited to see you win the Games this year!”

She rambles on about what’s happening in her life while she gets me ready. A black shirt, black pants, leather combat boots, a black coat that reflects heat and last but not least, my silver leaf necklace. After that, she puts my hair into it’s usual french braid then hugs me goodbye. Back home when I hear Victors talking about what it was like when they went in the Games, it seemed like they actually got close with their stylists. Not me, my stylist is only excited to see me enter the death match. No sympathy at all.

30 seconds. The robotic voice says.

“You go ahead and win, Nitri. Just think of all the things we would get if you did! You would move to the Victor’s Village, I would get rich and people would love me, I would be in Capitol Couture magazines, I would live in a penthouse, I could get whatever I wanted! I could also go-”

20 seconds. The robotic voice interrupts her.

“Well Miss Keene, better get going. Good luck!”

She leads me into the glass tube and waves as the door slides shut.