Chapter 8: Interview

“Okay, close your eyes.” my stylist says. I close them and hear her walk out of the room, then back in. She slides something over my head, a dress obviously, then buttons it in the back.

“You can open now!” she says excitedly. I open my eyes and look at myself in the full length mirror. I’m wearing an thigh length aqua dress, that has one strap on the left shoulder. The skirt swishes every time I move.

“It’s beautiful! Thank you!” I exclaim. She has me sit down  in front of a mirror while she does my hair. She gives me a waterfall braid, curls it the rest of the hair, then adds sparkles to it. Now she does my makeup. She makes my face slightly paler, puts sparkly silver mascara on, gives me a little bit of aqua eyeliner (the same color as my dress), then gives me silver lipstick. When I see the finished look, I tense up. It looks different; really different. As if I’m a citizen of the Capitol.

My silver leaf necklace is still on, thankfully, because my stylist says we’re going to be late and we have to get there as fast as we can. Before leaving, she gives me silver flats.

She practically drags me there and when we get there, we’re one of the last ones. I find Iveris and walk over to her, smiling.

“Hello Iveris!” I say excitedly.

“Hi Nitri.” she replies. I can tell she’s nervous. I mean- I am too, I just don’t want anyone to know it.

“Hey, can I talk to you after the interviews?” she asks.

“Of course! Should we-”

“Line up!” a peacekeeper shouts, interrupting me. Everyone falls silent and shuffles to their spots. I can hear Caesar’s theme music and him announcing the District One girl.

A little bit later, he announces my name.

“Let’s give it up for… Nitri Keene!”

I stride onstage, smiling and waving to the crowds. Caesar greets me and we sit down in the big white chairs.

“So, Nitri! How do you like the Capitol?” he asks.

“It’s wonderful! All the intricate designs, the unique clothing ideas, it’s practically another world here!” I say as exuberant as I can. I smooth out my dress and swing my hair behind me, smiling with my sweetest smile.

“I love it also! So, what’s your absolute favorite thing about the Capitol?”

“Um, well… the buildings and the people are so different from where I come from; I don’t know what my favorite thing is. Well, I guess the food is really great here.”

“Yes, yes it is. So, what is it like back home?” he asks, grinning. I tense up at first, then start talking.

“Well, it has a lot of… forest! And um, the view there is absolutely beautiful! I-” the buzzer goes off, signaling the end of my interview. Caesar and I stand up and the crowd goes wild, then I walk offstage, smiling and waving to the crowd. Now it’s time to meet Iveris somewhere.