"No." Kermit sighed. "We decided that it wasn't good for them to know what really happened." He told her.

"Good for who? You or them?" Maya asked. Kermit didn't say anything for a moment. He sighed and looked over at him.

"I know this sounds a bit selfish. But, I would like for them to never know what happened between me and your mother. I told them that we just didn't work out, and it was a mutual agreement to divorce. They think that you were just hurt during the divorce and we agreed that it was better for you to stay with your mom, and that's why you're not around."

Maya was looking at him with pure disgust on her face. He had lied to these kids for his own selfish benefit. And now she was going to have to lie to these kids and tell them his story, while trying to build a relationship with them.

"You're unbelievable." Maya shook her head at him. "How am I supposed to build a relationship with them based off a lie, based off of your lie." Maya snapped at him.

"I know this is hard for you. But Maya, these kids really love me. I was determined to not screw it up with them like I did with you. I don't want them to know about my past. Please, I know I have no right to ask for a favor. So consider this my dying wish."

Maya couldn't help it, she scoffed at him and turned to stare at him. He was pleading with her, she could tell from the way he was looking at her. Maya bit her lip and took a deep breath.

"Fine, I won't tell them the truth. But it they ask me I'm not going to lie to them like you have for all these years. Hell, they may not even believe me if I ever tell them. Because you've done so good at brainwashing them into believing what you want them to." Maya couldn't help it, she had to tell him. He needed to hear it.

Kermit looked out the window of his room, where Maya noticed for the first time the view outside. It was a small pond with a bird bath beside it. Birds flying in and out of the pond and onto the bird bath.

"What about the life insurance?" He asked her.

"I'll keep the insurance for them. But I don't want my share. I've gotten along fine without you over the years, I don't need you to start helping me now." She told him sternly. "And you're going to explain that to them. Because I don't feel like having Savannah breathing down my neck about it until she turns eighteen."

"Fair enough." He told her. "I love this view." He said suddenly. "I remembered something that you and I did together when you were just a baby. Three years old. Do you remember a park that you and I used to go to while your mother was working? There was a pond and a bird bath. You used to dance around it and try and play with the birds. You loved that park. I loved taking you. That's why when we got this house, I wanted a pond and a bird bath. So that when I looked at it, I would think of you." He explained with a smile on her face. Maya stared at him for a moment. No. It was all too much.

"I should go. I have someone waiting on me." Maya told him. She got up from her chair. Kermit looked up at her.

"Maya, this will probably be the last time you see me. Is there anything you wanted to say? I promise, I'll listen to you with an open heart. I don't want you to hold back." He stated. Maya stared at him for a moment, but the more she thought about it, the more overwhelmed she got. There was a lot she wanted to say to him, but she could never say it to him. Not while he's like this. It just didn't feel right.

"I have to go." She didn't wait for his reply. She opened the door and walked out. Down the hall, down the stairs and over into the doorway.

"Do you think it's her boyfriend?" Sarah was asking as all four kids were staring out the window.

"I don't know. Do you think it would be rude to ask?" Cody spoke up.

"I don't think so. She'd probably be fine with us asking. Especially if it is her boyfriend." Jeremy said.

"Well at least she's got good taste. He's pretty hot." Savannah stated.

"He's alright. But I'm way better looking." Jeremy said, rolling his eyes. "She's way too hot for him. Hey, you think since I'm adopted that means I could-"

"No." Sarah, Cody and Savannah all three cut him off. Maya chuckled before she cleared her throat. They all four turned around.

"Sorry, we didn't mean to stare." Cody told her. Savannah rolled her eyes and crossed her arms as the other three smiled apologetically at Maya.

"Mom went outside to talk to him, she said that if he was a friend of yours then he should be a friend of ours, too." Sarah told her. Maya smiled.

"Well, I don't mind you asking. He's not my boyfriend, we're just really good friends. And for the record, I think in a couple of years you could definitely give him a run for his money." Maya said the last part to Jeremy, who blushed and averted his gaze to the floor.

"Why isn't he your boyfriend?" Cody asked her.

"You two would look so cute together! Can I meet him?!" Sarah asked as she jumped up and down excitedly.

"No you can't!" Savannah scolded her. "And obviously she's just blind! Who would let a guy who looks like that slip from their fingers?" Savannah states as she crossed her arms.

"Why don't you just shut up!" Jeremy told her. "Maybe she's not as shallow as you are and only go for looks!" Jeremy yelled at her. Savannah glared at him.

"Look who's talking, you're the one that just talked about hot she was. You don't know what she's like." She scolded him.

"Well neither do you!" He retorted.

"Uh, look it's fine." Maya spoke up causing them to all look over at her. "I should go. Is was great meeting you all." She smiled at them before walking past and heading out the door, them staring at her as she went.

As Maya walked out, she noticed Josh leaning against the outside of his car talking with Carrie. His arms crossed over his chest, a slight smile on his face.

"Oh Maya, I hope you don't mind. I was just talking with your friend." Carrie smiled. Maya shook her head.

"Not at all, but we should really get going." Maya stated. She wanted to get out of here.

"Thank you so much for stoping by. I hope that the two of you were able to talk everything out." Carrie said. Maya didn't answer, she just walked to the passenger side of the door and got in.

"It was nice meeting you." Josh said. Carrie smiled at him and turned around to walk back into the house as Josh got into the drivers side. He closed the door with a sigh and then looked over at Maya. "You good?" He asked her. Maya nodded her head and looked over at him. "You want to talk about it?" He asked.

"I couldn't do it." Maya stated. "I couldn't tell him everything, not while he was in that bed, not while he's dying. He just looked so beaten and broken. I couldn't make it worse." Maya whispered. Josh didn't say anything. He reached over and grabbed her hand in his.

He didn't feel like there was anything he could say. Maybe now was not the time to say anything, maybe right now she just needed to know more than ever that she wasn't alone. That he was there for her, and no matter what, even if they were a world apart, he would continue to always be there for her.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________