Treasure

Every human being has at least one thing that they wanted to protect the most in this world. Being able to do that brings the satisfaction we always seek to have.  

          That is why I wanted to know the truth about the current kidnapping cases we've been investigating that started last week. Not only to unravel the truth, but also to protect my little sister- Carine Dawn. As I stared at my sister, who is happily telling me her stories, I can't help but remember this serial kidnapping case.

          It started last month when a kidnapping takes place on 8th street. The first victim was Fiona Estrada- a senior high school student at Armery High and identified to be 17 years of age.

           At first, it seems to be a simple kidnapping case that we usually handle, yet, after a thorough investigation, we found some odd points. We found an empty briefcase left at the scene of the crime as well as the strange outfit of the perpetrator, which is a crocodile mascot costume. It is also odd that the perpetrator gave a glance to the CCTV near the area as if he is challenging us.

           Then three days after the first abduction, Dianna Flores was distinguished to be kidnaped by the same culprit of the first case of kidnapping. The second case took place on 20th avenue. It has the same characteristics as the first case- a left empty briefcase, the strange costume, the glance, and the profile of the victims.

             I am worried about the safety of my beloved sister. I do not want to see that beaming smile that compliments her short wavy hair to fade away. That is why I wanted to do my best to protect her as well as save those girls.

"Hey, sis, you looked so troubled. Are you okay?" Carine suddenly called me with her eyes filled with concern. Aww, my sweet girl.

"Of course I am fine, it's just that I'm worried, Carine. I do not know why the culprit does these things, who is the next victim, or when will it happen so I can at least save them. I am worried about you. "

Again, together with the aroma of coffee beans that engulfed the cafe is her warm smile that can ease my worries. ' How can she do that? ' I wonder, and replied to her with another smile, a fake one that I know she noticed. After some chit-chats, together we head to our home.

" Officer Lopez. " Inspector Salas suddenly ask for my attention.

"Yes, sir?"

"Another abduction took place, together with Officer Carillo go at Highway 2000, that is the crime scene, immediately."

I froze. Another abduction. Is it related? "Arely, come on. " Aster called me, I replied with a nod. He is my long time friend in this field and one of my most trusted friend.

As we go outside our vehicle, strong wind greets my face that made my shoulder-length- wavy hair flows together with the wind. I tied it down to put it in place. Plip-plop-plip-plop suddenly heavy raindrops from the sky as if they know the feelings of the family of the victims. Astern and I ran to find shelter. As I stare at the rain, I noticed Aster staring at me. "Hey-" I wanted to call him out when he suddenly placed a handkerchief in my face. I only stared at him. I snatched what he is trying to give me. I wipe my wet face as I muttered thanks.

When the rain became weak, we continued to inquire about the case. My gut feeling was right. The victim is Earra De Guzman, a 17-year-old, grade 11 student at Amery High.

I sighed in frustration as I saw the clues in the table. Briefcase, CCTV footage, profile of the victim, strange act of the culprit in the footage. There is indeed a connection on them, I know they have but I can't point it down at the moment.