Thirty:- That's Rough Buddy

"Uggggghhhhh. Shut up, chirpy!"

Nathan was about to have a headache from regretting that he called Theodore. The moment the other male picked up; Nathan couldn't get a word in with all of Theodore's wailing from being worried that Nathan wasn't in school and Jadrianne was nowhere in sight.

[Loud Chirpy: IS SHE OKAY?! CAN WE VISIT?! PLEASE! YOU NEVER SKIP A DAY-]

"DO YOU KNOW WHAT 'SHUT UP' MEANS?!" He barked when he pulled the phone to his face. The people at the bus stop—where the two teens sat—stared at him in shock at his outburst. It's not every day you get to see someone look as if they were on the verge of exploding.

"Look," he sighed, "She's fine. We went to the hospital and now she's gonna head to her home to rest. I already called the school that I'm not going so, you guys do whatever you want. Tell that Fay girl, the weirdo here is alive."

[Loud Chirpy: B-But!]

There was shuffling heard on the other line. Nathan furrowed his eyebrows when another voice spoke tonelessly.

[???: So . . . you're skipping to take care of your girl?]

Nathan's eyes widened. "Brad?!" His face flushed when he recalled the term Brad mentioned. He cleared his throat and tilted the phone to the side opposite of Jadrianne. "She's not my girlfriend," he whispered through gritted teeth. He wondered how many times he had been hearing people calling her his girlfriend. Just because he took her to the hospital to treat her and all doesn't mean they were in a relationship, right?

Brad chuckled and Nathan swore he knew the guy was smirking. 

[Brad: I didn't even say her name though and you're already shy.]

"If choking someone through the phone was possible, you'd be in the hospital yourself, Whitley!" Nathan hissed. The sound of Brad's amused laughter was the last thing he heard before he hung up. It's only the afternoon and I'm already worn out. He sighed, ruffling his hair.

"Hey, you okay?" Jadrianne asked, concerned.

His heart squeezed when her bright emerald eyes looked up at him. To him, she looked like a clueless kitten. He shook his head and sighed. "I need to get my shit together."

After regaining his breath, he snapped his head to her. "Where's your place?"

"Hm?" Jadrianne blinked. Nathan sighed and lightly flicked her forehead. "You need to rest so, we have to get you home," he clarified. Jadrianne needed to process what was being said. "Um, I can get home myself. Thanks for bringing me all the way to the hospital when we could've gone to the clinic."

"That's an overly long 'Thanks'," Nathan said.

She giggled at that. Why the hell that sounded good? Nathan clenched his fists. "Well, I'm all bandaged up so, I'll just head back home on my own. You can go back to being the top-student you are." She smiled. Nathan wasn't having any of it. The thought of her going back alone in her current state didn't sit well with him.

Without hesitation, he grabbed her shoulders. "Don't complain when it's my turn to save you, stupid." Jadrianne gazed at him for a moment. "Nathan," she spoke, "if you think me confessing to you was a way for you to feel guilty then please, don't. I don't like that."

Hearing this, Nathan felt a little sting. It's not . . . like that, stupid. He mentally wanted to punch a wall. He grabbed her shoulders and decided to take a breather before levelling his gaze to hers. "Let me take care of you," he insisted.