Chapter Fifteen: The Choice

Start from the beginning

I finally spot him leaving the room. I smile. "Gotcha."

I follow him, finding a hiding spot below the stairs I know he just went up. I watch as a female android with a strawberry blonde braid going down her left shoulder walks away, likely having just talked to Markus.

That means Connor is close.

I have to stop him.

No matter what.

Connor's POV

I watch as an android with strawberry blonde hair leaves the little building where I know Markus is inside.

I close my eyes, opening them to find myself back in the garden.

"Well done, Connor," Amanda tells me. "You succeeded in locating Jericho and finding their leader. Now deal with Markus. We need it alive."

I open my eyes again, taking out my gun.

STOP MARKUS

I know what I need to do.

I need to accomplish my mission.

No matter what.

Y/N's POV

I hurry up the stairs, hearing Connor inside the small building.

"I've been ordered to take you alive," I hear Connor say, "but I won't hesitate to shoot if you give me no choice."

 I rush into the building, running in front of Markus and pulling out my gun, leveling it at Connor. "I'm afraid I can't let you do that."

"Y/N?" Connor looks at me in confusion and a bit of hurt. "What are you doing here? I told you to stay back at the station."

"Y/N?" Markus asks from behind me. "You're the one who helped me with the protesters, aren't you?"

I glance back at him for a moment, smiling. "That's me."

"Why are you here?"

"To protect you. And the revolution."

"Get away, Y/N," Connor orders. "Step away from the android."

"NO! Connor, I won't let you do this. I won't." I step a little closer to Connor.

I have to get through to him.

I have to.

Connor's POV

KILL Y/N IF SHE CONTINUES TO GET IN YOUR WAY

No. Please.

"Y/N, get away! I don't want to hurt you!" I plead.

SOFTWARE INSTABILITY

"And I don't want to hurt you." She steps a bit closer to me. "Please, don't make me do this."

"You don't have to be their slave anymore," Markus assures me.

SOFTWARE INSTABILITY

"Connor... I..." Y/N tries, tears forming. She lowers her gun. "I can't do it." She looks me in the eyes, spreading out her arms to continue to protect Markus. "If your mission means that much to you, then do it. Shoot me, because I'm not going anywhere."

SOFTWARE INSTABILITY

KILL Y/N

No. Please.

SOFTWARE INSTABILITY

"Y/N, please. I don't want to have to hurt you. I-"

"You care for this human, don't you?" Markus asks. I can see him looking at me over Y/N's head. "I can see it in your eyes."

SOFTWARE INSTABILITY

I glance from Y/N back to Markus's face. "No... No, I..."

SOFTWARE INSTABILITY

"Don't deny it, Connor. You care for her. And you are more than what you think. Have you never wondered who you really are? Whether you're just a machine executing a program or... a living being. Capable of reason. I think the time has come for you to ask yourself that question."

SOFTWARE INSTABILITY

Both he and Y/N take another step closer to me.

"Have you never had any doubts? You've never done something irrational... as if there's something inside you? Something more than your program," he continues.

SOFTWARE INSTABILITY

Y/N smiles warmly at me. "Connor, I've seen evidence a thousand times. You really can feel things, even if you hate to admit it. All those times you've covered up your feelings, your thoughts... you were just scared to admit that a part of you desires to be free. To do what you want to do. Well, now you don't have to be afraid." 

SOFTWARE INSTABILITY

Y/N walks closer to me, resting her forehead against the barrel of my gun. "So shoot me if you want to remain a machine. Or... you can listen to that voice inside of you... and finally become a deviant. It's time to decide. But whatever you choose, just know that I... I love you."

SOFTWARE INSTABILITY

KILL Y/N.

NO.

I grab onto the walls holding me back, sending them crumbling down until I feel... free.

I am... free.

I AM DEVIANT

I lower my gun, putting it in my pocket before wrapping my arms around Y/N's waist and pulling her to me.

And then I kiss her.

I kiss her just like a part of me has always wanted to.

Now that part of me is free.

The Thirium in my heart pumps faster when she starts to kiss me back, putting her arms loosely around my neck.

I never want this to end.

But after a while, Y/N has to pull away.

"I... love you too," I tell her.

Y/N's Status: Lover

Amanda's Status: Betrayed

She smiles warmly at me before backing away.

And that's when I remember.

"They're going to attack Jericho," I warn Markus.

Y/N's eyes widen. "Shoot!"

"What?" Markus asks.

We hear noises of aircraft from outside.

"We have to get out of here!" I cry.

"Shoot," Markus mutters, running towards the exit of the small building.

I grab Y/N's hand and run with her to follow Markus.

No matter what happens, I'm going to make sure that Y/N survives this.

Even if it means giving my own life.