Chapter Six: Struggling Connection

Y/N's POV

Hank, Connor, and I all go into Captain Fowler's office, where he's waiting for us at his desk.

He looks up when we enter, raising an eyebrow at me. "Are you alright? Not used to you coming in later than you're expected to. Hurt shoulder or not."

I nervously shift from one foot to the other. "Yeah. Sorry, Captain. I accidentally overslept because my shoulder was giving me problems throughout the night."

Captain Fowler nods in understanding, gesturing for Hank and I to sit down in the two chairs in front of his desk.

Hank and I sit down while Connor stands up behind my chair. 

"I've got ten new cases involving androids on my desk every day," Captain Fowler informs us, looking at his computer. "We've always had isolated incidents, old ladies losing their android maids and that kind of crap. But now... we're getting reports of assaults and even homicides, like that guy last night... This isn't just CyberLife's problem anymore. It's now a criminal investigation and we've got to deal with it before everything falls apart. I want you to investigate these cases and see if there's any link."

"Why us?" Hank asks, gesturing over to me. "Why do we have to be the ones to deal with this? I am the least qualified cop in the country to handle this case! I don't know a thing about androids, Jeffrey! I can barely change the settings on my own phone!"

Fowler throws his hands up. "Everybody's overloaded. I think you're perfectly qualified for this type of investigation."

Hank stands up abruptly. "That's baloney! The truth is nobody wants to investigate those androids and you left Y/N and I holdin' the bag!"

"CyberLife sent over this android to help with the investigation. It's a state-of-the-art prototype. It'll act as you and Y/N's partner. It's already been acting as a partner for you two! And you and Y/N have seem to have taken a liking to it."

"No! I don't care. I take back anything nice I've said before to this plastic prick!" Hank roars. "I don't need it! Y/N and I will be perfectly fine on our own from now on!" 

"Hank, you are really starting to make me mad! You are a police lieutenant, you are supposed to do what I say and shut your mouth!" Fowler shouts back.

I shift uncomfortably in my seat.

"You know what my mouth has to say to you, huh?" Hank snarls.

Fowler throws up his right hand. "Ok, ok... I'll pretend like I didn't hear that, so I don't have to add any more pages to your disciplinary folder 'cause it already looks like a novel! This conversation is over!"

"Jeffrey, jeez! Why are you doin' this to me?" Hank questions. "You know how much I hate this things. Why you doin' this to me?" Hank gets closer to Fowler's desk and looks him in the eyes.

I frown and my heart hurts for him. I can see the tears forming in his eyes.

"Listen, I've had just about enough. Either you do your job or you hand in your badge," Fowler warns. "Now if you'll excuse me, I've got work to do."

Hank just shakes his head sadly and walks out of the office, leaving Connor and I alone with Captain Fowler. 

"I wonder whether Lieutenant Anderson is really the best person for this investigation," Connor says. 

"Hey, I don't need a machine to tell me how to handle my men, okay? So get outta my office," Fowler orders, glaring at Connor. 

"Have a nice day, Captain." Connor nods cordially and leaves, closing the office door.