CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

Start from the beginning

"Sounds like everyone's back," someone shouts ahead.

We turn the last corner and there, in all glorified dignity, Capital Pier stands bustling and alive with animation. We stride inside, and for what seems like the hundredth time, my eyes widen in shock, astounded as my eyes flicker over what seems like a thousand men and women...all dressed in white.

"What the hell is this?" A soldier says, striding into the crumbling building.

The crowd stretches all throughout the floor, some are up on the bleachers with injuries beyond painful, and others stand and shout with each other in triumph. I search the crowd for a familiar face, those donned in black sticking out against the contrasting white bodies, like pepper mixed with salt.

"Madelynn!"

I twist on my heel quicker than a jet flying in the sky to the sound of his sweet tone. Within seconds, I ran to him with open arms.

He takes me in a tight embrace, lifting me off my feet as I jump into his arms. He breathes my scent in heavily, his hold on my body tightening as comfort washes over me.

He pulls away to take in my dirtied face, connecting the space between us as he captures my lips with his. We press against one another flushly and I hold the back of his head closer to my lips, locking him in. His hair is matted down with sweat and blood, but I still manage to intertwine my dirt covered hands within it. He pushes the small of my back flush against his abdomen. I stand on the tips of my toes to reach him as he crouches to touch my lips. He pulls away a minute later.

"I was so scared that this wasn't going to work, and that I wouldn't see you again," he says, reaching his hand up to caress the soft skin on my cheek.

I reach my palm up, taking hold of the back of his hand that rests on my face.

"I was so scared, too, I watched the fight from William's office," I wince at the memory, suddenly remembering something that I have to tell him, but I don't know how to even begin. "Tate, I have to tell you something that happened."

"I know," he says, "You were right about Malcolm...I'm so sorry."

"No, not that," I shake my head as he lifts his hand from my face. "It's about Raelynn."

A gaze of worry overtakes him, "What?"

I take a deep breath, my head momentarily hanging to the ground. I lift my eyes to connect with his, pain inundating my insides.

"Madelynn, tell me, what happened?"

"She uh," I sniffle, biting back the sobs threatening to let loose, "She's dead...the Governor shot her."

Tate's mouth widens in distress as a hand runs its way through his hair, tugging at it firmly.

"How...how is that even possible? She didn't even go to the city with you guys...she-she wasn't even involved."

"I don't know, but she showed up with the guards who were with Mia...she was there to rescue us. She disabled the communication throughout the society...she tried to kill William, but it was already too late."

"Whose William?"

"The Governor," I inhale the musty air, "My father," I add a second later.

Tate wraps his bulky arms around me, his muscles flexing as he holds me tightly. "I'm so, so sorry, Madelynn," he whispers in my ear as the tears begin to roll down my face.

"Mia's gone, too," I croak through my sobs, at which Tate pulls back with a glint of hope in his eyes.

"No she isn't."

He turns me around in place, and I can't help but let out a cry as my eyes take in Mia standing across from me, her arms opening wide.

"Mia!" I shout, running to her and taking her into a tight embrace. "I thought you were dead...they said you ran off and never came back!" I babble.

"Well I'm not dead," she laughs.

"Well I can clearly see that now. Where did you go?" Tate strides behind me, placing a hand on my waist as he listens in anticipation to her answer, clearing wondering the same thing.

"I was getting them," she points up at the bleachers pull of Pures. "There was no way that our numbers would match theirs...so I got them. It was rather easy actually, all I had to do was mention fixing the broken society and they were all in. We got here just at the right time."

"You sure as hell did," Gage shouts as he walks over to us, overhearing her voice. "We wouldn't have pulled through if you hadn't," Gage's eyes glint with happiness at Mia as I feel her insides begin to tighten.

She shyly tucks her short jet black hair behind her ear, "Well, I'm glad I could help," she smiles shyly as Tate and I eye each other back and forth at the sight in front of us.

"Where are the others?" Mia questions, breaking free from her staring trance with Gage.

"They're still in the city. While we were up in headquarters, Quinn attacked William, but then William attacked him too. He's in the hospital with broken ribs...the others there with him."

"Oh my god," Mia says, "Wait, William?"

"There was a reason why we never knew what his job was," I say, "He was the Governor."

"He's the guy that broke your ribs too, right, Tate? Man that bastard sounds horrid," Gage chuckles. "Good thing he's dead, you guys killed his ass right?"

I pause for a moment, "Not exactly," I drag on.

"Wait, what do you mean?" Tate questions.

"He's here, we brought him back with us. He's in a cell locked away. I thought that maybe we can let them decide his fate," I point to the crowd of people behind him.

A wicked smirk takes over his lips, "That sounds...wicked."