CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

Depuis le début

"That is ridiculous! You can't separate people because of their past. You have oppressed those people, forcing them to live in the constant shadow of wealth and luxury!" Sam refutes.

"That's the point, stupid child, those who are not worthy of a life of luxury live in oppressed misery...it's what they deserve," William strides closer to Quinn who still lays hunched on the floor unable to move a muscle.

"Sometimes, there are defectors," he sticks his heel in Quinn's chest, Quinn grunting and wincing in pain. "And those defectors always find themselves dead one way or the other. It's quite ludicrous, why would someone want to leave a life they have here to live with famined and ill-mannered imbeciles?"

"Because those people are free!" I shout, to which William shoots a glare my way.

"What did you say?" His tone is daunting, sending a chill down my body.

"Because, those people are free," I repeat, "They have a culture there, they are diverse...each person there is different from one another. Their lives are beautiful...and here they are...normal."

"That's what you don't get! You're so fractious and ignorant to the truth! Difference causes war. That is what caused the war that made the world be what it is today."

"No, failure to love and get along caused that. Failure to understand one another caused it. Those people down there, that are fighting to have a better life, do so because you don't understand them. You are all so self-loathing and stuck on the idea of perfection that you don't understand they are the same as you! Uniformity is not utopian...diversity is, and it always will be!" The tears that once filled my eyes are now gone, inclination replacing them.

"You're just like your mother," he spits, and at that moment, the space goes dark. The lights that once illuminated the room flicker off, the only light remaining is the natural brilliance from the sun.

William stares up in confusion as the Patrolmen in the room engage their weapons, ready for any danger that may come.

"What the hell is going on?" He questions harshly.

"I'm not sure, sir, it appears that all communication has been cut off throughout the building. I cannot get through to anyone."

"Well, go bloody fix it then!"

"Right away, sir."

The Patrolman runs right for the set of double doors on the side of the office, but as he's about to open the doors, they open for him. The man is sent flying backwards, his back slamming against the wall with violent force, leaving a dent. I jump from my skin to the sudden action.

I watch wide eyed as Damaged soldiers charge into the room, their weapons charged and ready to fire, which they do. They fire immediately at the Patrolmen who charge their direction, the men dropping dead in seconds at the impeccable aim of the Damaged. I recognize their faces, searching frantically for the only face I don't see in the bunch, but she's not there. Mia isn't there. Instead, another woman takes her place, and my eyes dilate in shock. It's her.

Raelynn charges into the room, a shot gun in hand and the look of ferocity fresh in her irises.

Her eyes connect with mine first, then they land on Quinn nearing unconsciousness on the floor. Finally, her eyes land on William, hatred and rage filling her body from head to toe.

She strides forward, closer to him.

"Ah! Raelynn! What a present surprise! What brings you here?" William says, clasping his hands in front of him as he walks back down the steps again for the fourth time.