Ty

I don't like the new kid. I can't put a finger on it, or maybe I can. I got a weird vibe when he walked into the laundry room. I couldn't take my eyes off of him for some reason. And then, when I handed him his stuff I felt it. A bolt of negative energy shot through my system. My mom used to call it women's intuition. She could read minds, that lady. Lying to her was impossible. She could tell what someone was all about by looking into their eyes. But for me, I needed touch. That's why I barely shake hands. Ignorance is bliss in that way.

            It was only for a second, but I felt it: The existence of unfinished business. The type of feeling you get when you run into a friend that still hasn't paid you the 20 bucks your lent them a month ago. We've met before, maybe? He didn't look familiar, but his touch was. I started to unload my laundry from the dryer. The warden doesn't want me digging holes. She says, "That's not a lady's job." I don't argue with her. That heat is no joke. Instead, I fold laundry, wash floors, break up fights, etc.  Working in the laundry room has its perks. I can clean my clothes whenever I want. Sometimes I let my favorite campers trade in shower tokens for confiscated contraband. So, I often shower twice a day. I sorted my clothes on the folding table when Squid let himself in.

            "KNOCK KNOCK!"

            "Jesus, you spooked me," he came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist. "Stop it," I hissed as I squirmed out of his grip. He has a bad habit of ignoring my boundaries. "Mr. Sir is right outside. And I'm mad at you." He sucked his teeth. Squid was hard to deny, but I had to let him go. He was getting too attached and The Warden was getting suspicious.

            "What I do now?"

            "Exist. Now leave. I want my space."

            "Don't be like that," he sat on the edge table and reached for my hand. That was when I noticed another pair of my underwear was missing. I was down to exactly five pairs when I loaded the dryer earlier that day. To top things off, it was period week.

            "God Damnit!" I shouted. Squid howled and hustled behind me as I bee-lined for the D-Tent.

            "This gon' be good," I heard him say under his breath. By the time I made it to the D-Tent, Pendanski was already on his way back to his office.

"Good day, Miss Tyler," he tipped his had and I gave a fake smile before stomping into the tent. Squid entered after and plopped onto his bed, elbows resting on his knees, like it was story time.

            "I don't know who keeps doing it and I honestly don't care. But stop stealing my underwear! That's my underwear and I need it." I spoke through my teeth. The others turned to Magnet with accusing eyes.

            "It wasn't me," he whined, holding his hands up in surrender.

            I ignored him. "Next time it happens, I'm turning this tent upside down."

            "What makes you think it was one of us?" said Armpit, "Go talk to F-Tent. They're the freaks."

            "Because D-Tent is the only tent that comes to bible study." I put my hands on my hips, asserting my dominance.

            "I don't know why you trippin, turn them inside out and you get an extra day out of them," said Pit.

            I nearly gagged. "That's disgusting," I looked him up and down, "And it's why you smell the way you do." The rest of the boys hooted and laughed at my snide remark.

            "Man, whateva," Pit waved me off.

            "You heard her, guys. Cut it out," said X-Ray. I could always count on him to back me up. I turned to see my twin brother, Hector, holding in a laugh. He shifted his eyes towards Squid. Non-verbal communication was our specialty.

            "I'm serious. Don't let it happen again," I took a deep breath before turning for the exit. The new kid looked terrified. I had him right where I wanted him. I shook off my angst. As I stormed out of the smelly tent, I heard one of the boy's whistle and Zig-Zag's voice say with the usual paranoia, "I told you she'd notice."