Happy Birthday, Ethari

It was finally the time of year when everything was just right. The the weather would now host a gentle gale after those long, hot summer nights, and once again the soft whispering of children's gossip would ring loud. However, there was something else. A special occasion, one may say, of a certain Moonshadow elf. For in the quiet corners of the Silvergrove, would this event take place. 

  Ethari never quite enjoyed exorbitant, boastful parties, or anything flamboyant for that matter. It was just so far off from his personality; quiet, grounded, simple. But sweet. He liked to celebrate his birthday like a normal day. Usually, he liked to spend it with Runaan and Rayla and Tiadrin and Lain. But now that they were gone.  .   . He wasn't sure what to do. Stay locked in the workshop forever? Another full day of it and he'd look as dull as his latest customer's knife. So he stood up from his worktable, walked to the door, and opened it. 

 As per usual, the rays of sun were faltering to break through the Silvergrove's barrier and thick foliage. Sometimes, he wished it wasn't always drowned out. It reminded him of the warm weather of the Adoraburr clearing, not like he even went there anymore. 

"Happy birthday, Ethari! Long time no see." That was the fourth time someone had greeted him this morning. This time it was the local merchant. It must've been an old friend, but their voice wasn't all that familiar. He smiled back; it was weak, and felt horribly fake. They grinned, but the way their eyebrows were bunched together showed they were offering sympathy. Ethari was so tired of that.

 The merchant said goodbye soon after, and Ethari continued on his walk. 

Nearing the entrance of the village, he looked to one of the large boulders. Runaan and Lain used to hang out on that rock, catching up on their day, or even telling each other something personal. 

 On this very day, many years ago, he had passed this same spot, waving a friendly but wordless hello to them. Lain waved back, but next to him, Runaan had remained frozen, blushing so much that his cheeks were the colour of moonberry juice. After a long second, he had slowly lifted his right hand. It was really cute, Ethari remarked to himself. 

"What am I supposed to do, Lain? Ethari's birthday is today, and I don't know what to give him, or how." He leaned back on the slippery surface of the rock, frowning up at the sky. Lain patted his shoulder, and teased, "I didn't know assassins could get so worked up about their crushes." Runaan raised an eyebrow at his direction and corrected him, "I'm not an assassin yet, Lain." 

 His friend shrugged, and cracked his knuckles. "Okay, okay. Let me be serious here. Go ask him what he likes." Runaan lifted his other eyebrow, clearly not liking that idea. Before he could open his mouth, Lain put up a finger to his lips. "I see those gears turning in yer' brain. And no, I'm not asking him. You'll see, Runaan. It isn't a hard feat! I asked Tia-- ahem, Tiadrin, what she took pleasure in. The only thing negative I got was a suspicious look." 

 "But Lain, I'm not you. What if I make a fool out of myself? How ridiculous that would be." 

Lain was silent for a minute. "My friend, I thought I taught you better than to think that. Also, don't look now, but Ethari's comin'." 

The assassin-to-be turned around, and sure enough, there was Ethari. The complexion of his cheeks flew into a frenzy as the craftsman waved hello to them; even that little action was cute. They finally settled on a deep red shade. Not conspicuous at all. 

 He wished he could tell him how much he liked him, but alas, he did not have such confidence. Yet. 

Lain gestured an eager shake back, yelling, "Happy birthday, Ethari!"He turned to Runaan, elbowing him discreetly. Thankfully, his friend followed his lead. The craftsman flushed a light shade of pink, the corner of his lips curling to reveal one infectious smile.  "Thank you!" He called back. 

When Ethari had left, Runaan sighed. Lain glared at him with exasperation. "I know that look. Don't you dare go thinkin' the way you do sometimes. It isn't healthy." The assassin in training knew exactly was Lain was talking about. 

"If you can't aid me in this way, at least help me find something nice."  

"Deal."

Ethari looked down at the gravel, the only sound of his shaky breathing blanketing his ears. It was always hard, being apart from his husband. It felt like just another mission. Runaan would be gone for two weeks, and come back tired and, many times, bruised. But he would come back. AlwaysExcept now, that comfort was gone. 

 He shook his head. Ru wouldn't want him to feel this way. A trip to the Adoraburr meadow would do him some good. His husband had always play scolded him not to sink too far into his work. Oftentimes, he would drag him out into the bright daylight, even though he was the one who preferred to stay in the shadows. 

 It had been four hours. Four hours, and Runaan hadn't found anything for Ethari. Everything had been too vivacious or showy. Tiadrin had joined in on the party with them later that day, but even with her skills, they hadn't been victorious. Sunset was high, and they would have to begin their nightly training. 

 Runaan decided to take a break from his search, and take a walk through the Adoraburr meadow. Those little creatures always stuck to his clothes, but they were too cute to get annoyed at. 

 The tall grass swished and rustled loudly, even with his mastery of stealth. In the middle of the grove, was a tall tree. Many animals took solace there, with the acceptation of one elf. Or two, for that matter. 

 When Runaan stopped to climb the tree, he heard music. It sounded a bit like the melodies played at the square, but less upbeat and more peaceful. Curious, he began to scale the twisty tree. 

 Hauling himself up to the last branch, he saw none other than Ethari. He was playing a silver lute, humming quietly to himself. The song stopped when he looked down to meet Runaan's eyes. "Oh! I didn't see you there, please, join me." 

The assassin nimbly leapt up, taking a seat next to the craftsman. "Er, I wasn't able to get you anything, but.  .  . happy birthday," He said suddenly. Ethari raised his eyebrows. "Runaan, your company is just as great as any of the gifts I've received ." 

 Runaan's eyes grew wide. "You think so?" He breathed. Ethari's nod was bashful. If only he knew. . . "I take pleasure in being of your presence, as well." A sheepish groan only audible to himself drew from his throat. You might as well say that Ethari is the most beautiful being you've ever laid eyes on. 

 The craftsman blushed as he grinned toothily, "Thank you! Oh, I have some free time right about now. You assassins also have a break until evening training?" When the answer was a nod, he clasped his hands together. "Great! If you have time, maybe we could spend some time together?" 

Runaan could hardly believe his ears, "Of course!" 

The two elves talked for a long while. On Ethari's side, puns, stories, and questions, and on Runaan's side, tales from training hours and answers. But their time would have to come to an end. Both of them would have to get back to work, but not before exchanging a friendly glance. It was both secretive and humorous and knowing, like they were two elflings after a playdate. 

 Ethari looked up at the tree they had met in. It hard grown up so much, becoming big and strong. He sighed, but this time, he was at peace. Happy memories flooded in, drowning him like the falling rays of sun. 

 And maybe, just maybe, he felt the reassuring touch of Runaan, caressing his cheek and telling him that all would be right. All the bad feelings of being consumed and gnawed away by grief, and those empty nights crying alone washed away like the tide.

I think I'm ready to go back home. Was a content thought.

((Rolls out of coffin to retrieve a conductor's cap. All aboard the pain train y'all. Thank you all so much for 1.1k views! I am in utter awe right now! Also.  .  . HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ETHARI.