Free|Bound

Ethari rubbed his shoulder, as he stood to the side watching Runaan approach his father. The assassin's breathing was steady, but his heartbeat was racing. "My son," The elvish lord, Orion, spoke, eyes as cold and sharp as shards of ice. "What is so important that you come marching into my halls?" 

  Runaan offered a stiff, quick bow. "I have come to discuss matters of my partner, Ethari." His father pinched the bridge of his nose, sighing with a frustrated air of exhaustion. "If you're going to question me about earning my acceptance of your relationship, the answer is a firm no."  This argument had been an ongoing fight ever since Runaan had introduced Ethari to his father as his boyfriend. 

   The assassin felt his blood simmering, but quickly extinguished those feelings. "And why is that?" He said boldly, stepping a foot in front of the other. He expected there to be no answer, and a precise flick of Orion's long finger, saying, 'We are not to discuss those matters'. But instead, his father responded, just not how Runaan wanted him to. "Because, he is a peasant. Insignificant, just like an ant. If you began a relationship with him, you would taint our family's reputation. It would be a much safer bet to win over Lord Arif's daughter, Gaenor." 

  Runaan could hardly believe his ears. His blood temperature rose again, this time, it didn't simmer down. "So this is what this is about." He laughed without humour, "Keeping our groomed notoriety? You're disgusting. Come on, Ethari. We're leaving." He stalked to the craftsman, snatching his wrist to lead him out. 

  Ethari looked back, and almost wished he hadn't. Orion's expression was an unreadable mask of something that resembled disgust, or a silent fury. When he looked back at Runaan, his blue irises had been replaced by a maelstrom. And that's when Ethari realised the first resemblance between father and son; their eyes. 

  Runaan had led them out to a balcony where they could take a breather, and get away from his father. "I'm sorry you had to endure that," He said, resting his hands on the rails. "My father is a difficult man. He has always and will continue to care more about his golden record more than family." 

  Ethari rested a hand on Runaan's shoulder. "I'm sure he cares about you. After all, he probably wants you to marry Gaenor for your well being. Besides, she's not horrible. Although, she's not too nice either." A tiny ghost of a smile flitted across Runaan's face, but it quickly died. 

  "Whatever my father says about you, don't listen to him. He's not worth anyone's time." The couple looked at the scenery of the Silvergrove beneath them, as normal people. But Runaan wasn't normal. He was the offspring of a lord, and could barely take a step outside without someone noticing him. 

  Ethari sighed, "I know what it's like to be bound to family responsibilities all too well, and a lot of them will feel like an unwanted chore. But in the end, it's not so bad. We could always work something out. We can still be friendly acquaintances, if you end up marrying Gaenor." 

  Runaan shook his head. "I am never going to marry Gaenor, even if my father disowns me." Ethari's eyes widened. "That's a bit extreme.  .  . Or we could just run away." He laughed at the last part which was meant to be a joke. Runaan had played with the idea several times, but it was a hopeless fantasy. And they would be leaving Tiadrin and Lain, and their home. 

  Ethari hopped off the balcony. "Well, we'll talk to Orion time and time again. He'll have to say something soon enough, right?" He kissed Runaan, and took his hand to lead him back to Orion. A spark of something like hope igniting in his heart.