Work (Training)| Free Time

It was springtime in the Silvergrove. Truly a beautiful time; the newborn Shadowpaw kits leapt about, melodasies sang, and the town was a bustle.

Everyone except a certain Runaan and Ethari, that is.

Ethari hummed to the tune of a laughing Xadian songbird, his bare feet damp from the dew sprinkled grass.

He had traveled to one of the darker parts of the Silvergrove, trying to find a quiet place on his day off.

As he approached one of the few trees that stood, he heard a noise and looked up.

It was Runaan, sitting on the highest branch, tapping a quill on a piece of parchment.

He seemed to be deep in thought, for he didn't hear Ethari approaching.

"Runaan!" Ethari greeted, waving at him.

Runaan looked up from his paper, and the craftsman could've sworn a blush crossed over his face.

"Ethari," Runaan said, "What are you doing here?"

Ethari shrugged,"I could ask the same about you."

The assassin looked down again, "Nothing." He murmured.

The craftsman rubbed his shoulder. "Oh, alright. If you want to be alone, I can leave?"

Runaan's eyes shot to his. He shook his head, "No, please. Em, I'd like some company."

Ethari smiled, and climbed the tree. "What were you writing?" He asked

Runaan begin to tap his pencil again. "Techniques I've been learning from the older assassins." He answered simply.

Ethari raised an eyebrow. "On your day off? You should relax." Then he realised assassins, or assassins-in-training, probably don't really get breaks off.

Runaan sighed. "I can't relax. If I do, my father would become disappointed in me."

"Oh."

"It's fine."

It was silent between them for a while. Ethari remembered Lain telling him Runaan's father is a member of the high council, and extremely strict with his own son to the point where it seems like he's a mentor.

He knew he shouldn't feel sorry for Runaan, but he really was.

It was getting late.

"I should go," Ethari said."It was nice spending time with you!"

Runaan nodded, and maybe for the first time, Ethari saw him smile. "I enjoyed our time as well. Thank you for keeping me company."

The craftsman nodded, and as he hopped off the branch and walked away, he felt warm inside.