Dreams| Light of my life

Little five year old Rayla bounced up and down in Runaan's arms, laughing with joy until a thought crossed her mind. 

 "Runaan?" She asked slowly. "How did you and Ethari know you were meant to be?" Runaan stopped bouncing her, and looked at her in surprise. 

 "Well.  .   ." He began to say. "I fell in love with Ethari the first time we met, but he didn't know my true feelings until our first dance."

_______________________________________________________________________________

"Go on, ask Ethari for a dance!" Lain said breathlessly, slumping by the bench next to Runaan. He had been dancing with Tiadrin for an hour, or even longer. 

 Today was the night of the annual dancing festival, a celebration where the young and old joined together with their partners in an evening waltz. 

 "I think I'll just sit out on this one." His friend said, crossing his arms over his chest. Lain would have none of that. He hoisted him up by the arms, and threw him into the party. 

  Runaan stumbled into the arms of Tiadrin, who grinned. "Did Lain finally convince you to take part in the festivities?" She asked. Runaan sighed, "I guess he did."

  They spun around for a little while before Tiadrin left to get some refreshments, leaving Runaan alone. But in the corner of his eyes, he saw Tiadrin talking to Ethari, and then gesturing coyly  to the place where he stood. 

 What in Garlath's name is she doing?! He turned around and took a big sip from his drink, hoping that Ethari wasn't really coming over. However, he came over.

  "Hi, Runaan," He heard from right behind him, and nearly coughed out his drink. "Er, Tiadrin said you wanted to tell me something?" 

 Runaan faced Ethari and nodded. "Yes. . . I.  .  . em," I want to tell you how I feel, I want to ask you out, I want to kiss you. "I wanted to ask you if you wanted to dance?" He expected to make a fool out of himself. But Ethari grinned. "Of course!"

 If it weren't for the chilly night air, Runaan would've melted into a puddle then and there.

 Then they began to sway to the music of the buzzing forest insects; the band had taken a short break.

  The first moments were incredibly awkward, but things started to smooth out, like a rough rock polished by sand. They were lost in pure bliss, and in that moment, Runaan decided he wasn't going to hide in the shadows forever. 

 "Ethari?" He said, but the band started up again, and they couldn't hear each other again. The craftsman titled his head. "Pardon? I didn't hear you." Runaan wondered how he could tell Ethari how he felt without the music interfering. As he looked to the side, he had an epiphany. 

 He took Ethari's hand, led them out of the dance, and into the forest. "Where are we going?" The elf beside him asked. Runaan brushed a branch out of the way, "You'll see."

 They emerged into a wide clearing by the cliffside, illuminated by hundreds of tiny fireflies. 

  Ethari gazed around in wonder. "This is beautiful." He breathed. Runaan shifted his weight. "I thought you might like it," He said. "I.  .  . need to tell you something. I really like you." He clamped his mouth shut, and stared at the ground. 

 When he looked up, there was Ethari, a soft smile playing at his lips. He hadn't run back to the dance, and he wasn't looking offended. What he did, was take Runaan's hands in his, and say, "I like you too, Runaan." 

  At first, the assassin-in-training didn't know what to say, but he realised words didn't have to make this night. Actions could. 

 And so, they circled each other shyly, slowly joining together, and began to dance in the moonlight.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

 "Wow." Rayla gaped. "Do you think I'll find someone like that?" Runaan nodded. "I think so."