Chapter 55 - Mila

When I left the house this morning, I felt like a complete bitch.

I can't seem to be able to do anything right these days. I've been horny as hell, despite my fucked-up mental state. And seeing Hayden like this... Good Lord, it was hard to resist him.

But I had an appointment. I had to know exactly what was going on.

Jas did about a dozen pregnancy tests with me last night. She even peed on one herself, just to make sure they're valid. The results scared me, still do. And I know I have to talk to someone before I can talk to Hayden about this.

I take a cab to the medical center, but the driver stops about a block away from it. The roads are closed because of some protest at the other end of the road.

"That's okay, I can walk the rest," I say, handing the driver a few bills before I step out. Multiple cars are blocking the road, and as I walk past them, I notice a few people standing between them, holding up different signs.

Murderer!

Even Cells Are Life!

You are NOT God!

It takes me a second to realize where we are, but then I see the Planned Parenthood sign on the building behind me, and I realize this is must be an abortion clinic. About a dozen people are screaming their lungs out, shaming anyone who walks in or out of it.

It makes me angry, really. Making people feel bad for doing something that's their right. Their body, their decision. No one else can dictate what to do with it.

After looking at them for a minute, I shake my head and proceed down the street, aiming for the medical center just a few minutes away. I get inside and take the elevator up to the second floor, and I the nerves fluttering in my stomach as I step inside the OB/GYN practice, somehow regretting that I didn't talk to Hayden about everything.

But I wanted to do this the right way. I have no idea how he'll react to this, but I want to surprise him. I have to make up for so many things, have to apologize for my bitchy behavior...and I need to know a few things before I can do that properly.

"Miss Lyne?" A young brunette, whom I assume is Dr. Coleman, smiles as I get up from my chair in the waiting room.

"Hi, yeah, that's me."

"Great, please follow me." She leads us down the hallway to the examination room, where she gestures to the chair opposite her desk. "Please, have a seat."

I do as she says, suddenly feeling the nausea make its way into my system. I take a deep breath and pull at my fingers, trying to find an outlet for my stress.

"What can I help you with today?" she asks with a smile.

"Um..." I chuckle. "That's a long story."

I tell her all about my experiences, the stress, the symptoms, about everything that could be even remotely interesting, and she listens patiently, taking notes here and there before she says, "Alright, Miss Lyne. What do you say we do an ultrasound before we discuss anything further? That way we can calm your nerves a little."

A few minutes later, I'm lying back on the chair, closing my eyes to not let my thoughts overwhelm me. Why the hell didn't I talk to Hayden...?

"It's okay, Mila." Dr. Coleman squeezes my shoulder, giving me a smile before she starts the examination.

She inserts the ultrasound wand, and it doesn't take long until a smile spreads out on her face, clicking and tapping away on the keyboard until she says, "Look. There it is." She points at the screen next to her, and at first it's hard to follow, until she finally zooms in on this tiny little bean. "You should be at about five weeks," she says while I fail miserably at suppressing my tears. "For now, there's nothing out of the ordinary, but it might just be too early to see that. From what I can tell, your baby is healthy, same like you."