Chapter 54 - Hayden

Start from the beginning

Because I'd do anything for her, and more. I'm completely at her mercy, more than she probably realizes.

We slowly break the kiss, and she looks at me with those large eyes, almost like she's trying to find the answer to a question she dare not ask.

I kiss her again, the sudden panic that she's slipping out of my grasp clouding my senses. It's a chaste but intense kiss, and I hold her even more tightly when we break apart before she finally closes her eyes, her heart still beating heavily against our intertwined hands.

I don't know what happened today, and I don't know what's going on in that beautiful brain of hers, but I hope she trusts me enough to talk to me, open up to me.

Because the only thing I'm scared of in this life is losing her.

***

The next day Mila and I are having breakfast together, for once without Sam. He's at Mike's office, finalizing his preparation for the trial in a few days.

"What are your plans for today?" I ask, and I don't fail to notice how she instantly tenses up.

She stuffs another pancake in her mouth, having trouble chewing from the size of it. I smirk at the sight; I love that she's not afraid to eat her own weight in sweets.

"I, uh..." She swallows before she says, "I want to go to the doctor."

I raise an eyebrow. "Okay...what kind of doctor?"

She stirs the coffee in front of her, twirling the spoon in the cup as she says, "Dr. Jones."

That name rings a bell. I'm pretty sure it's her GP who helped her out when Sam went to prison. "He's the nice one, right?" I ask for confirmation.

She smiles, stuffing another pancake in her mouth when she mumbles, "Yeah."

It's obvious there's something she's not telling me. And as much as I'm patient and understanding, it's also frustrating as hell. "Any particular reason?"

I really don't like this version of us. Long breaks in conversation, obvious secrets and insecurity about what to say and how to act... It's not something I ever thought would happen to us.

"No, no. Just a general checkup and, like...I thought I might talk to him about what happened."

"That's good! I'm sure that'll help you."

She doesn't say much more to the matter, and I really don't want to keep asking questions and push her, which is why we spend the rest of breakfast in silence.

After a while, we clean up, and as I walk back into the kitchen, I find Mila nervously munching on another peanut butter cup, looking deep in thought.

"Do you want me to come with you?" The urge to feel her close to me overwhelms me, and I wrap my arms around her from behind, pulling her against my chest.

"No, that's okay. I think it's better if I do this on my own."

I have to suppress a sigh, although I know it's her decision what to share about her health and what not. It's her body, after all. "Okay, you know I'm here though, right?"

"I know," she whispers before tilting her head to press a kiss on my cheek.

We take turns showering, which is also something that doesn't happen often, but the locked bathroom door seems like a clear sign she wants to be alone in there.

I guess that's why I'm not surprised when I see her dressed and ready by the time I step out of the bathroom, only a towel wrapped around my waist. "Leaving already?"