Mary

"Hey, Mary! Who are you texting?" Jeremy shouted in my ear.

"Nobody, Jeremy."

"Is it your boyfriend?" This time he whispered it into my ear as he sat next to me in the car.

We were headed towards our grandmothers house, Mamie. Every year we weren't with Mom, everyone would go to her house and celebrate the Christmas holiday. Cousins, Aunts, Uncles, and a gift wrapped in ever color of the rainbow, gathered around the tree.

"No. i don't have one. you know that."

It wasnt that i didn't like guys from my school or anything. They just didn't like me back, and if they did, it was because i came off too friendly and got stuck in the place called "The Friendzone." Friends of mine would post pictures of themselves on social media with their lovers or with their friends having a  blast in town. But Will was different.

The way he looked at me made feel... not lonely anymore. Then my imagination got the best of me because i thought of things that couples would do within a month of dating, and we had only just met last night.

I looked at the vibrating phone in my lap and slowly checked the car before i looked at it from a side- glance.

I'm really glad we met, by the way. But to be honest i'm kinda nervous that were actually talking.

Should i be flattered or worried? I couldn't ask Cody, so i kept it to myself.

I'm sorry, did i do something wrong? Why are you nervous?

I glanced out the window. The sky was gray, like ashes scattered around a scolding fire. My forehead touched the cool glass and i immediately felt relaxed. The Dad's rear view mirror said 36 degrees in bold, green numbers. I always liked the cold. It was better to be cold than hot. The cold caused you to want to envelop yourself in a number of  quilted blankets and warm sweaters. But the heat was inescapable. No matter how many layers you shed, it would still be there.

No please dont think that. Im just not use to talking to girls like you.

 My happiness crawled out of my heart and appeared on my face as a smile. 

If it makes you feel any better. Im nervous too. For the same reason. Not that im calling you a girl or anything but i meant  boys dont usually talk to me either.

We pulled up to her house and cars were already scattered down her driveway. I recognized my Uncle Ray's truck and Jack's windowless, green jeep as soon as we turned down the street. Jack was my favorite cousin of all time, and helped me with everything. He hugged me when the divorce was happening, even when i was soaking his sleeve with my salty tears.

Mamie came out in her maroon sweater with her arms wrapped around her skinny arms to greet us. 

"Hello my grand chillies!" She exclaimed while grinning. 

"Mamie, it's freezing out here let's get you inside." I looped my arm through her's and lead her inside. 

Her house smelled of sugar cookies and special candles. The grand piano sat in the room next to the front door. Next to that, was the Christmas tree. Decorated in ornaments we grandchildren created over the years, it shined of a thousand  lights of silver that danced across the floor. Underneath, sat presents of green and white paper. Jack saw me and hopped off the couch.

"Hello cousin of mine." He wrapped me in his arms and whispered, " My favorite cousin i must say."

I smiled and spoke low " Hello my favorite relative."

He let go as my uncle popped around the corner.

"Hello Mary, where's your little lamb?" He cracked this joke every year .

"Not a clue, but Merry Christmas."

Jack rolled his eyes at his dads joke and helped us carry the rest of the presents in.

"Where's Aunt Sue?" I asked. She was my curly haired aunt who always gave the tightest of hugs and I was ready to accept mine.

"She went to that sweater store i was telling her about. You know, last week i met the nicest women there," she sat me down on the couch and kept going.

"Her name was Laura and we had both grabbed at the same sweater. Of course, she wasn't rude about it. We both shared a good laugh and asked the clerk if they had another. She was so lovely, she wore her hair in a tight braid and had on a charming sweater of Santa Claus." 

"She sounds very nice." 

Jack plopped down next to us and smiled at our dear Mamie.

"Maybe you'll meet her again."

"Of course i will, we continued chatting and i invited her whole family over. She has two sons and a husband."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys im so sorry it's been so long since i've updated. i hope everyone had good holidays and is having a great day. Thank you for sticking with me this far. Please feel free to comment i dont bite. Bye Bye! Hope you enjoyed it!