Will

My eyelids rose slowly, opening to a sliver of light oozing onto my bedroom floor. The sun was just poking above the horizon, awakening the children who weren't already full of energy on Christmas morning. I felt the heat radiating between me and the sheets when I removed the covers.

My feet hovered over the wooden floor before I stepped down to wake everyone. We had stayed out until almost midnight, handing out those hot drinks. But it was worth it because I met her.

The floor felt like ice beneath my warm toes as I walked towards my door. My parents bedroom was downstairs, Jeff's room was to the right, next to the carpeted stairs. I slipped on my dark green jacket and shuffled my way to Jeff's door.

"Jeff? You up yet? " I knocked softly and entered your room.

Dirty clothes were everywhere. The jacket and scarves you wore last night were thrown onto his desk chair. There were coffee mugs on nearly every surface of the room. A half eaten sandwich was peeking out from underneath his bed. A lump of moving blankets sat on top.

"Jeff, come on man. Its Christmas." I lightly shoved his shoulder. He only returned a low grumble.

"Alright, fine. See you downstairs." I avoided the sandwich as I turned and walked out if the room.

I grasped the white railing and took each step with caution; I was prone to falling. Both my parents were happily sitting on the couch, sipping a steaming mug of dark liquid I presumed to be coffee.

"Merry Christmas Will!" They shouted in unison. I flinched at their joyous shrieks and returned with a simple "Merry Christmas, guys."

"Where's Jeff?" Mom asked, with a wondering look in her eye. She was wearing her purple robe and reindeer slippers. The steam from her favorite orange mug, wrapped around her face.

"He's still sleeping. But he probably won't be up for awhile."

"We will just wait for him then. Make yourself some hot cocoa, if you want. I left it out on the counter," she replied. She motioned towards the kitchen with her fist wound around the handle. Hot chocolate?

Mary.

I still hadn't contacted her, but what would I say? Try Merry Christmas Will. I didn't want to mess things up with her. The radiance  that surrounded her still imprinted itself in my mind. Maybe she was too good to be true. Maybe this was a dream.

"Thanks, I'm good." I told Mother. She nodded and smiled as I walked back up the creaking stairs.

My phone was on my desk connected to its charger. After she drove away, I never stopped thinking about her. As soon as we finished, I put her number in my phone.

The bright screen illuminated my face as it clicked on. Eventually, I found her contact. She was the only girl in my phone besides family. Should I call? What if she's still sleeping? It's 8:02.

I clicked on my inbox for text messages and typed out a message to you. Here we go... Just do it Will...

Merry Christmas Mary