Chapter 13. Thunder

Start from the beginning

He pushed open her bedroom door with his elbow, walking to her bed and bending down slowly to place her onto the soft mattress . It was a cold night, so he pulled out the blanket from underneath and tucked her in. Once he was done, he watched her for a few seconds before leaning down again and planting a tender kiss on her smooth forehead.

"Goodnight Olivia." He spoke softly as stroked her hair.

He stood up, ready to now leave but was stopped when he felt something grab his hand. He raised an eyebrow as he turned around to see Olivia with her eyes still closed. She gave a lopsided smile as she wrapped both her hands around his arm, snuggling against him as Lord Nathaniel smiled in amusement. He sat down on the edge of her bed facing her as she continued holding onto him.

"Thank you for dinner." She spoke drowsily as she opened her eyes slightly and grinned at him. "I like it when it's just you and me."

Nathaniel pursed his lips upon hearing her words, unable to contain the sheer happiness they brought him. His smile soon faded once he remembered that Olivia was drunk, she didn't know what she was saying nor could she mean it. Sincere or not, he leaned in closer to her.

"Me too."

He stroked her hair for a few seconds before standing up to leave, assuming that was all she had to say. However, that was not the case as she still held onto him preventing him from leaving.

She looked up at him, still lying in her bed as she pouted out her lips childishly. He frowned seeing her now changed expression. What could she possibly be sad about?

"Why didn't you tell me your cousin and uncle were coming to the castle today?"

His expression hardened once she spoke. His uncle had informed him a few days prior that they would be visiting for a quick meeting, and after what happened at the midwinter ball he had to ensure they wouldn't see Olivia at the castle again.

"Who told you that?" He furrowed.

"You were with Lady Sophia." She sulked as she let go of his arm, completely ignoring his question.

He invited Lady Sophia, so his uncle wouldn't be suspicious of the human girl and their relationship. Nathaniel had even given strict orders to the castle staff to make sure she was not aware of this, he even made Louis responsible for keeping her away from them and distracting her the whole day. He would make sure to find and punish who was the cause of this slip-up.

"Why wasn't I invited?" She turned away from him, now lying on her side.

"It's best you stay away from my family." He muttered sadly.

He wasn't sure if she heard what he said, or if she was even listening, but either way, she wouldn't nor would she ever understand that he was simply trying to protect her.

Although Olivia was still hurt, she changed the topic as a smile crept onto her face.

"I also talked to your cousin Sebastian again!" She said in drunken enthusiasm.

His eyes widened as the veins from his neck became prominent.

"You did what?" Nathaniel growled as he tightened his fists.

His reaction did not frighten Olivia, in fact when she turned to see him fuming with anger she broke into uncontrollable laughter. Nathaniel raised an eyebrow, although he was still enraged the girl's behaviour left him puzzled.

"You look funny when you're angry." She chuckled as she placed her hand over her mouth.

That was certainly the first time anyone had told him that, but regardless he brushed it off.