Chapter 1. The Masquerade Ball Part 1

The reflection Olivia saw in the mirror was completely unrecognisable.

She was wearing a lengthy baby blue dress, that reached to her ankles. A V-shaped bodice wrapped around her small torso tightly, and underneath the dress was a wide petticoat that helped exaggerate her curvy hips. At the end of the long sleeves were white silky ruffles, and her long skirt was embroidered with beautiful intricate patterns.

For once in Olivia's life, she truly felt elegant. Never in a million years would she be able to afford such a glamorous dress. Fortunately, her good friend Julia had generously allowed her to borrow it for tonight's masquerade ball. The girl made a promise she wouldn't dirty such a beautiful dress, and even if she did she would be sure to wash the delicate fabric with her own hands before returning it.

The Vampire Lord was notorious for being a cold-blooded killer and many other things, but he was also known for hosting exciting balls when he wasn't busy torturing people. He was feared by all but was also despised by many for his cruelty. Despite one's feelings, everyone was forced to worship him as failing to do so would result in being killed as well as your entire family. The city was strongly divided, humans being at the bottom and vampire aristocrats being at the top of the hierarchy.

It wasn't always like this, long before Olivia and her brother were brought into this world, was a time where it was only humans who roamed the earth while the vampires hid in the shadows. Humans lived freely until the vampires finally crawled out from the shadows and took over. Because of this, humans despised vampires for their cruelty and disregard for them. A ball was a place where all races could come together and enjoy the night, regardless of their class.

"You look beautiful my dear." She heard her aunt say.

Olivia quickly turned around to see her standing in the doorway that lead to her room.

"What a beautiful woman you've become."

Olivia's cheeks immediately turned red after hearing her aunt's words. Her aunt walked towards Olivia and stood behind her, in the reflection of the mirror, she noticed that her aunt was holding something shiny in her hands.

"Aunt Caroline," The girl called softly. "what are you holding?"

Her aunt took Olivia's long wavy hair in her hand and moved it over her shoulder. It was then that Olivia realised the object in her hands was a necklace, and that her aunt was now putting it around her neck.

"It belonged to your mother, your father gifted it to her a long time ago." Her aunt hooked the chains together.

The silver necklace was beautiful, the centrepiece held a dark blue gem as well as other decorative beads, it complimented her dress and made the entire outfit feel complete.

"How could my father afford such an expensive piece of jewellery?" Olivia asked she cocked her head.

"Before it belonged to your father, the necklace belonged to his mother, your grandmother." Her aunt replied with a soft smile.

"He then gave it to your mother several days after he proposed to her. After you were born, your mother knew that one day the necklace would be in your possession once you were old enough."

Olivia turned around to hug her aunt as she thanked her. A faint memory of her mothers face appeared in her mind, and she felt a heavy weight in her chest as she wished she could've spent more time with her before she passed.

When Olivia was four and her brother eight, their dear mother and father were unfortunately murdered by vampires who broke into their house one tragic night. Luckily her father had the quick idea of hiding her and her brother in the underground dungeon as soon as he realised there were intruders.