Chapter 19-The Palantir (Edited)

Start from the beginning

Aragorn was brought out of his thoughts when he noticed Gandalf leaning against a pillar and smoking his pipe.

Aragorn walked towards him and asked, "No news of Frodo?"

"No word," replied Gandalf, "Nothing."

"We have time," said Aragorn, "Every day, Frodo moves closer to Mordor."

"Do we know that?"

Gandalf's eyes were filled with worry.

"What does your heart tell you?" replied Aragorn.

"That Frodo is alive," said Gandalf, "Yes, yes, he's alive."

Their conversation was interrupted by a loud ruckus. They both looked to another part of the room to see that a crowd had gathered round a table. Aragorn left Gandalf's side to see what was happening and was shocked to see the hobbits, alongside Salandiel, dancing and singing on a table, all three with a mug of ale in hand.

Oh you can search far and wide,

You can drink the whole town dry,

But you'll never find a beer so brown,

As the one we drink in our hometown.

Their voices rang out and grew louder as the crowd cheered them on. Salandiel wore a magnificent smile on her face, and despite her drunken and off-key singing, she was a crowd favourite. Aragorn laughed, surprised to see Salandiel in this state.

You can drink your fancy ales,

You can drink 'em by the flagon,

But the only brew for the brave true,

Come from the Green Dragon!

The three clinked their mugs together and downed the rest of their drinks as the crowd continued their cheering. Aragorn looked at Salandiel's flushed skin and the way her head was thrown back in laughter. She could feel his eyes on him and she looked up to meet his eyes. Aragorn's intense gaze brought a blush to her face and she cast her eyes down in embarrassment.

Salandiel stumbled down from the table to fetch another drink but accidentally tripped over her own feet. Aragorn caught her by the waist and she looked up. She became aware of how close he was to her and his strong hands that had caught her. Salandiel felt a small flutter in her stomach. It is probably just the effects of the alcohol, she thought to herself.

But they both leaned in and their faces drew so close together that their breaths mingled. Time seemed to slow as they anticipated what was about to happen—

"Oi! How about another song?" shouted Pippin, oblivious to what had occurred between Aragorn and Salandiel.

They both jumped back and Salandiel felt the cold air surround her as Aragorn's arms drew away from her.

"I...um, I think I have had enough fun for one night," replied Salandiel, who was still looking at Aragorn, "I think I shall take my leave."

Salandiel waved goodbye to the two hobbits and then nodded her head towards Aragorn. She hastily turned around and stumbled out of the hall. Salandiel put her hands to her cheeks and felt their warmth. She could not help but wonder at what had just happened and what it had meant.

~~~~~

The celebration ended and everyone made their way to sleep. All was quiet as Aragorn walked through the hallways. A sense of foreboding hung heavy in the air. He wandered aimlessly until he came upon a room where Salandiel slept. She lay on a couch and in front of her was a dying fire. Aragorn stoked the fire so that it would keep the room warm and then turned to lay a blanket over Salandiel. She looked content in her sleep and Aragorn looked once again at her beautiful face. To think that so strong a soldier could look so peaceful in her sleep.