Chapter 13-The Grace of the Valar (Edited)

It floated down the river, led by an unknown force, until it came to rest at the foot of Aragorn who lay wounded on the banks of the river.

May the grace of the Valar protect you.

Aragorn felt breath in his lungs once more and a strange feeling of something strong pushing against his face. He opened his eyes to see a horse, Brego, bending down and encouraging Aragorn to grab hold and pull himself to sit upon his back. Aragorn pulled himself up but looked down to see his pendant, the Evenstar, lying at his feet. He picked it up and started the long journey to Helm's Deep.

~~~~~

"Draw all our forces behind the wall," commanded Theoden, "Bar the gate. And set a watch on the surround."

Theoden walked through Helm's Deep, followed by Gamling and Salandiel, giving orders.

"What of those who cannot fight, my lord?" asked Gamling, "The women and children?"

"Get them into the caves," ordered Theoden, "Saruman's arm will have grown long indeed if he thinks he can reach us here."

Salandiel felt worry creep into her thoughts. 

"My lord," started Salandiel, "Would it not be wise to gather all those who can wield a weapon and prepare for battle? Line the archers along the wall, place the reserves behind to support them, cover the causeway and then-"

"You speak as if we are at war," interrupted Theoden, turning to face her.

"But what if the walls are breached?" questioned Salandiel.

"Even if it is breached, it would take a number beyond reckoning, thousands, to storm the Keep," said Theoden assuredly.

"But-" 

Theoden cut her off again.

"I know that you were a great soldier and captain in Gondor, but if you are to fight for us I would ask that you follow my orders."

Salandiel nodded her head respectfully. 

"Yes, of course, my lord."

Without another word, Theoden, Salandiel and Gamling walked into another hall, not noticing the great commotion happening at the front gates.

"He's alive!" shouted a woman in the crowd.

The crowd looked towards the gates and were shocked to see Aragorn ride in on his horse. Gasps and murmurs grew as he dismounted from his horse.

Gimli fought through the crowd to get to Aragorn.

"Where is he?" came the gruff voice of Gimli, "Where is he? Get out of my way! I'm going to kill him!"

He stopped in front of Aragorn with a great smile upon his face.

"You are the luckiest, the canniest, and the most reckless man I ever knew."

Aragorn and Gimli embraced warmly.

Aragorn looked down and asked, "Where is the king?"

Gimli pointed in the direction of the room that the king had entered. Aragorn patted Gimli's shoulder and rushed towards the room. With a loud crash he threw the doors open and shocked all those that were present. Salandiel looked up from the map that was laid out on the table in front of her and felt the breath leave her body. Was Aragorn really standing in front of her?

~~~~~

"A great host, you say?" asked Theoden.

"All of Isengard is emptied," replied Aragorn.

"How many?" asked Theoden.

"Ten thousand strong at least," said Aragorn, "It is an army bred for a single purpose; to destroy the world of Men. They will be here by nightfall."

Theoden turned back to look at those who had gathered behind him. With great conviction he said, "Let them come!"

Theoden walked out and through Helm's Deep giving orders to prepare for battle. Women and children were sent to the caves whilst the men were dragged away to make ready for war. It was a dark time for all...

~~~~~

Aragorn went out to look for Salandiel who had gone off before he could even speak to her. Aragorn eventually found her standing in the watch tower, looking into the distance. She stood tall and her face held no emotion; a proud soldier ready to fight.

She turned to see Aragorn slowly approach her.

Walking to meet him, Salandiel crossed her arms over her chest and raised her eyebrow. She still could not believe that Aragorn, who had fallen from such a great height, was standing in front of her.

"You're meant to be dead," she said.

"It takes more than falling off a cliff to get rid of me," replied Aragorn with a cheeky grin.

Without a word Salandiel threw her arms around Aragorn's neck, embraced him and whispered into his ear. 

"Please don't do that, ever again."

Aragorn, shocked at Salandiel's display of affection, let out a small chuckle and brought his arms up to hug her as well. For just a moment, they stood in one another's arms, drinking in the feel of each other. Salandiel pulled her head back to meet Aragorn's eyes. Her eyes grew tender but just as quickly as she embraced him, she stepped back awkwardly, her face growing red.

"Umm, I'm sorry...I didn't mean... I..." stammered Salandiel.

Sensing the change in Salandiel, Aragorn decided to bring their attention to other matters.

"Were you able to rally more soldiers?" asked Aragorn.

Salandiel's attitude shifted and, immediately, she became the soldier again.

"Yes, my lord," replied Salandiel, "Every man and strong lad able to bear arms has been sent to the armoury. But..." Salandiel went quiet.

"But what?" asked Aragorn.

"You say that thousands are marching towards Helm's Deep," Salandiel said and turned with worry in her eyes, "I fear we are numbered too few."

Aragorn sighed.

"We must call for aid," urged Salandiel.

"And who will come?" asked Aragorn, "Who will answer the call?"

"Gondor will answer," replied Salandiel.

"I know you believe in your people," said Aragorn, "But the alliances of old are dead. I fear we are alone in this fight..."

Author's Note: So I know this chapter was pretty short but if I wanted to end the chapter where I originally wanted to end it, it would be way too long. So I'm ending it here because I felt it was a good place to stop. What did you think of that little moment between Aragorn and Salandiel?

Again, if you enjoyed this chapter and are enjoying this book so far, please don't be afraid to leave a vote or a comment. It really would be appreciated.

Much love!