Chapter 11-The Golden Hall of Meduseld (Edited)

The night was quiet; the fire crackled and the stars shone brightly, lighting the night sky. The company had stopped to rest after a long day of travelling and Aragorn walked to where Gandalf was, looking towards the East. His face was grave and his eyes solemn.

Salandiel stayed seated in her spot by the fire, cleaning her sword. She tried to pick up on the conversation between Aragorn and Gandalf but her attention was drawn away by Gimli who sitting across from her on the other side of the fire.

"If you clean that sword anymore there'll be nothing left of it," remarked Gimli.

At this point in their journey all of the company had picked up on this strange habit of Salandiel. She just chuckled and carried on cleaning her sword, using the beautiful cloth that Galadriel had given to her.

"If I may ask, why do you clean it so often?" asked Legolas as he sat down by the fire to join the two of them.

Salandiel looked up at her two companions. Never had she thought that she would take on a quest with an Elf and a Dwarf as part of the company, but after all they had gone through, she knew that she would rather take these two companions into battle over an army of thousands any day.

"There is no honour in the pride of a bloodied sword," started Salandiel, "but, rather, in the heart of a soldier who has fought bravely to protect her people." She paused for a moment, her eyes looking off into a long distant memory. Suddenly she was brought back to the present and said to her two companions, "My father would always say that to me when I was being trained as a soldier."

Salandiel felt her heart clench at the memory and before any questions could be asked further, she stood up abruptly.

"I shall take the first watch." 

Moving to take up her position, she hoped that no one had seen the tears forming.

~~~~~

"Edoras and the Golden Hall of Meduseld," exclaimed Gandalf.

The company had travelled far and finally came upon the beauty of Edoras. The town stood high on a mountain overlooking the vast plains of Rohan.

As they rode towards the gates Gandalf continued. 

"There dwells Theoden, King of Rohan, whose mind is overthrown. Saruman's hold over King Theoden is now very strong."

At the back of the company, Aragorn and Salandiel rode on their horse. Very quietly Aragorn spoke to Salandiel, who sat behind him. 

"Your father is a noble man."

Salandiel frowned. What did Aragorn know of her father and why had he all of a sudden brought about this subject?

"I heard what you said last night," continued Aragorn, as if he knew what her thoughts were, "about your father."

"I thought that the 'common' practice of listening in on a conversation that does not involve you was considered quite rude," remarked Salandiel, rolling her eyes, irritated that Aragorn had overheard something of her past.

Aragorn scoffed.

"Well that certainly hasn't stopped you from following such a 'common' practice," replied Aragorn.

Salandiel rolled her eyes once more and spoke defensively. 

"Well I like to think that what I do is rather 'observing' those around me."

"Oh?" asked Aragorn in amusement, "Is that what you call it? Observing?" 

Salandiel could hear the smirk in his voice.