Chapter 5-The Mines of Moria (cont.) (Edited)

The sound of the drums rose to a magnifying sound. The ominous sound reached the company's ears and Frodo unsheathed his sword which had changed to a glowing blue. The screeching of the orcs could be heard as they drew closer. Boromir ran to the open door to scout what was happening outside when suddenly two arrows came whistling past his face, landing in the door with a thud.

"Get back and stay close to Gandalf," shouted Aragorn to the hobbits.

The hobbits gathered together and Gandalf put an arm around them whilst Boromir shut the door quickly. Aragorn, Boromir, Salandiel and Legolas proceeded to bar the doors shut and then withdrew their weapons. A great booming sound could be heard coming towards the doors.

"They have a cave troll," said Boromir in exasperation.

Legolas and Aragorn loaded their bows with arrows, Boromir and Salandiel stood at the ready with their swords and Gimli stood up on the tomb of Balin proudly. 

"Let them come!" Gimli shouted, "There's one dwarf yet in Moria who still draws breath."

The doors continued to be battered down whilst Legolas and Aragorn let their arrows fly loose, planting a few arrows in their targets, but the orcs were too strong and broke through the doors. The Fellowship fought fiercely, even the hobbits. 

Suddenly a large and terrifying cave troll with a chain around its neck crashed through the door, breaking and smashing the walls with its fists. Aragorn and Boromir pulled on the chain around its neck, Salandiel taking on the task of fighting off the orcs surrounding them. Legolas fired arrows into its chest but it was no use; the cave troll was too strong.

The cave troll flung Boromir against a wall and just as an orc approached the dazed Boromir, Aragorn threw a knife, hitting the orc's neck. Chaos ensued but the cave troll seemed to have only one goal, and that was to get to Frodo. 

The cave troll found Frodo behind a pillar and dragged him from his hiding spot. Frodo shouted for Aragorn and Aragorn proceeded to drive a stake through the cave troll's chest. With a mighty roar the cave troll flung Aragorn across the room and knocked him unconscious.

"Aragorn!" shouted Salandiel. 

With an unknown strength, Salandiel drove and slashed her sword into the orcs surrounding her, making her way towards Aragorn. She had nearly reached him but the cave troll moved towards Frodo, distracting her from the task at hand. For a moment she knew not which way to go. Where did her loyalty lie?

Within a split second Salandiel made a decision and ran to Frodo to protect him but that split second had been a moment too long. She was too late. 

The cave troll gleefully drove his stake into Frodo's chest.

The hobbits, Merry and Pippin, ran towards the cave troll in rage, willing to fight him whilst Sam ran to be at Frodo's side. Salandiel came to realize her mistake and, along with the rest of the company, attacked the cave troll with such ferocity. After much fighting Legolas fired an arrow into the troll's mouth and that was the final blow. With a low and sad roar the cave troll stumbled and fell back, breathing its last breath.

The Fellowship turned their attention to Frodo. Aragorn had awoken and crawled to Frodo, turned him over and let out a mighty breath of relief. All the company were surprised to see Frodo alive and well.

"He's alive!" cried out Sam.

Salandiel could not comprehend the amount of relief that flooded her body in that short moment as she felt her muscles relax and the grimness of her mouth fade away.

Frodo sat up and looked around him. 

"You should be dead," said Aragorn to Frodo in surprise, "That spear would have skewered a wild boar."