Chapter 6-Lothlórien (Edited)

The magnificent trees loomed over their heads as the autumn leaves danced on the ground. Not a sound could be heard except for the breathing of the company and the soft whisper of the wind in the trees. Or was it the wind? The wind sounded strange, as if it were living and breathing.

The Fellowship had entered the Woods of Lothlórien with Aragorn now leading the company.

"Stay close young hobbits!" said Gimli, "They say there's a great sorceress lives in these woods." 

Gimli lifted his axe, ready for an attack. 

"An Elf-witch of terrible power. All who look upon her fall under her spell..."

Salandiel could see all that was happening from her position at the back of the line. The wind swayed through the trees and Salandiel thought she heard the voice of a woman; a soft whisper gently playing in her mind. Salandiel shook her head and continued on; it was surely just the wind.

Gimli carried on speaking. 

"Well, here's one Dwarf she won't ensnare so easily. I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox!"

Without warning, an arrow pointed towards Gimli. In a matter of a moment the company were surrounded by elves, their bows loaded and ready to shoot.

"The dwarf breathes so loud we could have shot him in the dark."

~~~~~

"Mae govannen, Legolas Thranduilion (Welcome Legolas, son of Thranduil)"

Haldir, a tall and graceful elf, had led the Fellowship into one of the great trees and there he formally greeted them.

"Govannas vín gwennen le, Haldir o Lórien (Our Fellowship stands in your debt, Haldir of Lórien)" replied Legolas.

Haldir then turned to Aragorn and greeted him. 

"A Aragorn in Dúnedain istannen le ammen (And Aragorn of the Dúnedain, you are known to us)".

"Haldir," replied Aragorn respectfully.

Gimli grew impatient, not understanding what was being said. 

"So much for the legendary courtesy of the Elves! Speak words we can all understand!"

"We have not had dealings with the Dwarves since the Dark Days," replied Haldir, looking down on the dwarf.

"And do you know what this Dwarf says to that?" Gimli switched to his own tongue, "Ishkhaqi ai durugnul! (I spit upon your grave!)"

Aragorn quickly turned to him. 

"That was not so courteous."

Haldir walked up to Frodo and looked long on his face. 

"You bring great evil with you," said Haldir. 

He turned to address the rest of the Fellowship. 

"You can go no further."

~~~~~

Aragorn took Haldir aside and argued long with him. Salandiel sat down, took out her sword to clean it, and once more observed those around her. Her eyes caught Boromir talking to Frodo and she was surprised to see him actually comforting Frodo but still Salandiel tightened her grip on her sword. She did not trust him fully around the ring. But before anything could happen further, Haldir advanced towards the Fellowship.