Chapter 2 | Accidents Happen

Start from the beginning

"Yeah." I just answer with strain.

This is like my worst nightmare coming to life and all I can think of now is how Kate will react if she finds out.

Will she be mad? I'm not supposed to get attention and yet here I am.

Despite the total humiliation I am feeling, a boiling anger builds up inside of me. I don't know if it's the kid I should be angry at or myself for not paying attention to where I was going.

"Damn Justice, never seen a back flop like that before."

If it were possible, I went even more red and it was hard to tell whether that was out of embarrassment or anger.

You know what? Forget that kid, it's Aaron Friar that I'm going to kill.

My head snaps towards the sound of his voice amongst the laughter. The mischievous grin plastered on his face is enough to confirm his involvement. He set this all up. He threw that—whatever it was—thing and I tripped.

I don't normally feel like punching people in the face, but man do I want to give him a bloody nose.

"Miss Justice, are you okay?" Mr Henry asks, his face masked in concern as he gives me a hand. I notice the incisor marks on his thumb and hesitate to take it. Once on my feet, Ms Day, an art teacher, passes me a napkin to wipe my face. I feel terrible but that's the least of my problems. What I am worried about are the twenty phones recording everything that's happening.

There is no way in hell I can let those videos and pictures of me get onto the internet. No, Kate would murder me. She'd kick me out and abandon me forever, then the year I've spent already at Victor High will be nothing but a single droplet of water in a desert. Useless.

"What is all this noise about?" The cafeteria quickly goes silent.

I groan internally.

Mr Gilmore, lean; grey haired; square spectacled and principal of Victor High, is a very strict man. He stalks the school like an orca prowling his prey, always checking to see if his perfect school is in order because god forbids a strand of hair out of place.

"Mr Gilmore." Mr Henry immediately straightens up, "it was nothing but an unfortunate accident."

"All accidents are unfortunate Mr Henry." Mr Gilmore says seriously, his infamous scowl gracing his lips. "I asked what all the noise was about. Last I checked this was a school and not a zoo."

Mr Henry doesn't say anything. Mr Gilmore turns to me with an eyebrow raised. A look flashes across his eyes and his scowl deepens. "Miss Justice? I thought you would wait before getting into another mishap."

I don't say anything.

"Do you wish to pay one of your many visits to the nurse's office?" Mr Gilmore asks and I shake my head.

He isn't threatening me or anything, seeing as I have had my fair share of accidents in this school, but he did not have to say that out loud.

Now thanks to our dear principal's appearance, I think even more people have tuned in.

"Well? Explain yourself." Mr Gilmore demands.