𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖 - 𝐄𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫

Start from the beginning

My face contorted in pain and I tried to pull away, but Theo kept his claws in my skin. I pleaded with him with my eyes, begging him to let go. But either he didn't understand or he wasn't going to stop until I fully snapped out of my senseless state.

I looked down at the blood trickling down my arm. I had to do something, I had to snap out of it, even if it meant losing my tranquillity. A tear dripped out of my eye.

I pressed my lips together, not knowing how long I could stand the pain.

"Step away from her, Theo!" Abi finally appeared to save me, but too late.

"Abi, for once in your life, just back the hell off," Theo replied, still staring intently at me.

What's that? I thought I felt a flicker of heat in my body, a flicker of fire.

My right hand twitched, and a burning sensation ran through it.

Is my fire...? I struggled to believe it; is my fire returning to me? It was. I could feel it pulsing through my veins again — a second heartbeat, a second life, a second chance.

"C'mon, Ember." Theo's eyes searched my blank face. "Do something already."

I turned my head to him and with my right hand, grabbed the clawed hand of his that was in my left forearm. I grasped it tightly, staring at him as I pulled his claws out of my skin.

Standing up, I pulled Theo up with me. And by now, my hand that was holding his was burning.

Burning with bright, brilliant flames of fire. The sight of that alone improved how I was feeling; I felt whole again. There wasn't a part of me missing anymore.

"Ember." Abi's voice cut through my thoughts. "Ember, you need to let go."

I hadn't realised how hard I'd been holding Theo, but he was struggling to get out of my grip as the flames from my hand licked his skin, dancing oh-so beautifully. Reluctantly, I released his hand and he dropped to the ground, cradling his burnt wrist.

"It'll heal," I stated and began to cradle my own wound, "Though I'm not sure how quickly this will..."

"I had to do it," Theo claimed. "I couldn't go on seeing you sitting there like a shell of the person you used to be."

"So, you had to stick your freaking claws in her arm?" Abi turned on him, exclaiming, "Seriously, Theo? Couldn't you have thought of a better way?"

"Well, if that didn't work, there was always Plan B." He shrugged, getting to his feet.

"And what was Plan B?" I set my hand on my hip, suddenly feeling powerful, despite the blood leaking out of my arm.

"Plan B was this," he said and without warning, stepped closer to me and pressed his lips desperately against mine.

Somewhat unwillingly, I backed away from him after his lips were on mine for about two seconds.

"Yeah, I think I prefer Plan A," I said severely, turning away from him when all I really wanted to do was to jump into his arms and kiss him again.

I clutched my hands to my chest and walked to the far end of the deck.

"I think you've done enough, Theo," I heard Abi say as Theo tried to walk over to me. "You should just give her some space."

He agreed grudgingly and then walked off.

Abi walked over to me and rubbed my shoulder kindly, "Hey. How's my number one comatose patient doing?"

I laughed bitterly. "Well, I was your only patient, and I'm not comatose anymore."

She shrugged. "You know what I mean."