"What is wrong?" Chanyeol probes.

The emperor steps back, finally letting Chanyeol have his personal space back although having him close to him strangely feels relaxing. Familiar, even.

"It is nothing," Baekhyun smiles apologetically. "I am sorry that you had to witness my eccentricity."

"You are not eccentric, Your Highness," Chanyeol blurts out without thinking much about his words.

The emperor chuckles. "You are very interesting." He turns on his heels and continues, "Let us go proceed to the dining hall. I am hungry, I hope they made something that suits my taste today."

"But what if they did not?" Chanyeol suddenly blurts out again.

"Well, they are not psychic so it is not their fault, obviously."

Chanyeol nods, embarrassed once again for letting himself ask such a stupid question.

"Right..."

Upon entering the dining hall right after Baekhyun, Chanyeol sees the other servants standing stationary in a line just behind the chair at the head of the table. Sehun is among them, who gives Chanyeol a meaningful smile before his face melted into calm seriousness.

"Greetings, Your Highness," everyone says as they dip their heads. Chanyeol panics a bit, not knowing what to do so he abruptly bows down. In the process of doing so, his head bumps against the emperor's back, who twists his body and gives Chanyeol a questioning look.

Jolting up, Chanyeol gasps, "I-I did not mean to!" He bows once again in apology. "I am sorry!"

Instead of scolding him like he had expected, Baekhyun only puts a hand on his raven locks and pats his head gently then says, "Be at ease, Chanyeol. Do not be so nervous. It is okay."

"I-I'm sorry..."

Baekhyun shakes his head with a light laugh. "Come, join me for this meal."

Despite the emperor's attempt to soothe him, Chanyeol is still jittery, not knowing how to act. He tries his best to calm himself down though, since Baekhyun seems like a good person after all and what he deserves is not a pathetic servant like him.

Chanyeol sits down on the seat to Baekhyun's right which he had preoccupied before, too. When he is finally comfortable, he looks up to the emperor with an expectant gaze.

"Shall we eat?" Baekhyun begins, spreading his hands out in invitation. Chanyeol nods timidly and reaches out for the food.

"Chanyeol, were you able to sleep well?" the emperor inquires as he starts filling his plate. "By the way, you should try that," he points to a bowl filled with milky liquid, ice cube-like jewels floating in its surface. "It is extremely delicious."

"I did, Your Highness," Chanyeol graciously says. He then reaches out to the bowl and adds, "And please do not mind if I do have a taste."

Baekhyun hums. "That is good."

"Why, Your Highness?"

"Nothing important. Just making sure because I do not want you falling ill."

But the glint in the emperor's eyes seem to hint that he is up to something else.

And Chanyeol is right because when they finish dining, Baekhyun whisks him away to a secluded part of the palace, far away from the sight of the servants and the guards.

"Chanyeol, listen," the emperor whispers. He has the mortal up against in a wedge between two walls, and he is so close that Chanyeol could literally see how delicate and pretty his eyelashes are that even seem to produce sparkling little motes every time he blinks.