Home

"Greetings, Your Highness."

Chanyeol is scared of approaching the emperor in the gardens, especially since it seems like an intimate moment for him. But what can he do? He cannot exactly whine to Sehun to go get the emperor himself since it would be totally embarrassing. He is an actual adult and Sehun is no more than just a young sixteen-year-old with the mindset of a wizened old man. Chanyeol has to appropriately act his age.

Thankfully, the emperor did not seem disturbed or irritated of his presence. On the contrary, it actually felt like he had been waiting for him.

Or maybe it is just your imagination.

"Hello, Chanyeol," Baekhyun greets with a soft smile across his lips, paired up with his eyes forming into endearing crescents. "Why did you come?"

"Sehun wanted me to accompany you to the dining hall."

Baekhyun nods as he shifts his gaze towards the fountain. Chanyeol cannot help it but notice how ethereal the emperor looks - his skin having this iridescent prismatic sheen, his blond hair sparkling with stars, the ruby and spinel jewels on his face glinting as he moves and with the glowing dust motes floating in the atmosphere, everything comes together to form such a breathtaking sight. Like a meteor shower in a clear night.

"Chanyeol? Are you okay?"

The emperor's question pushes Chanyeol out of his trance. He shakes his head to clear his mind as a hint of a blush touches his face at the embarrassment of getting caught while staring.

"Ah, I zoned out a bit. I remembered something."

Baekhyun straightens up in attention.

"Will you tell me what it is?"

Chanyeol blushes even deeper.

"It is nothing interesting," he laughs awkwardly as his hand shoots up to scratch his hair.

"I highly doubt that. Anything that comes out of an otherwordly being's mouth is interesting to me."

With Baekhyun probing hard like this, Chanyeol finds himself not being able to resist.

"W-Well I just thought... um... you remind me of a..."

Baekhyun smiles in innocently. "Of a what?"

"Of a meteor shower."

The emperor tilts his head to the side. "Why?"

"You are an exquisite sight."

There is a silence that ensues, and the expression on Baekhyun's face is unreadable. In his mind, Chanyeol starts to pray for his soul, hoping that he did not offend the emperor in anyway.

Seconds later, Baekhyun suddenly takes a step towards him. His face is serious and for a moment, Chanyeol is struck by fear at what the emperor might do to him.

He does not expect the way Baekhyun reaches out to cradle his head in his hands, eyes darting over his features, sparkling in wonder as they seem to search for something.

"Tell me the truth, mortal," he says in a hushed voice as his thumb caresses his skin. "Do you know me?"

Chanyeol blinks in confusion.

"I... I do not get what you mean."

"But why... why do you speak, act and even look like him?"

The mortal furrows his eyebrows.

"Who do you mean, Your Highness?"

Chanyeol watches as the emperor remains silent, continuing to look at him intently. He sees how his expression slowly changes until sadness finally settles in his eyes.