08 | All Alone

| CHAPTER EIGHT |
All Alone
[unedited]

Diana laughed along with her parents as they sat in their family garden for tea - a weekly Sunday activity for the Williams family

Diana laughed along with her parents as they sat in their family garden for tea - a weekly Sunday activity for the Williams family. Mary Williams had recounted her first time at the book club their neighbour, Margret, had invited her too, where only two out of the seven ladies had actually read the selected book of the week; one of the ladies who failed to read the novel inserted her false opinion of the read only to be quickly shit down by Margret herself for her lack of knowledge of the events in the book. Diana could practically feel the embarrassment that must have coursed through the poor woman's veins at her poorly executed white lie.

Diana always enjoyed her parents company, basking in their obvious affection for one another and they countless stories they had to share with their daughter who's as always eager to learn more about their past and day to day activities.

Kingsley Williams shook his head after his laughter had died down, taking a gulp of his steaming tea before asking his wife, "Darling, do you mind fetching me my coat?"

The Autumn air had not been welcoming to the Williams family that afternoon, leaving Diana thankful for the hot tea to assist in warming her as the chilled air caressed her exposed face where the apples of her cheeks and tip of her nose were kissed with a strawberry tint. She and Mary were clever enough to wrap themselves up in a fair fews layers of clothing against the cold air leaving Kingsley, who stubbornly insisted he would be just fine, to sit outside in only his thin white buttoned up dress shirt and grey cotton vest.

Mary let out a light-hearted scoff as she stood from her seat. "I knew you would ask for it, especially after I told you that you would need for this afternoon's weather."

"I really should start listening to your advise more often, darling. It would save me a great deal from bothering others with my small requests." Kingsley said with a chuckle.

Mary tutted under her breathe as she threw him a good-natured eye roll before retreating inside their home, closing the back door behind her.

As Diana smiled at her parents interaction and took a small sip of her hot tea, she watched as the expression upon her Father's face had dropped any sign of its previous glee and playfulness. Instead, he now wore a brooding expression, his eyebrows furrowed and lips perused as he stared down at his cup in front of him, as if he in conflict with his current train of thought.

"What is it?" Diana wondered, her voice filled with instant worry.

Kingsley sucked in a long breath, slowly peeling his hardened gaze away from his cup and towards his daughter before he said, "Now that your Mother is gone, there is something we must discuss."

"Is something wrong?" Diana raised a quizzical brow, her mind jumping to every possible variation of words that could be expressed: were either he or Mother sick or injured, had he lost his job, were they still financially stable, were they moving from their family home, or out of London?